Elevated Calcium, Retest, Parathyroid Or Lymphoma?

WinterLunaCheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally got Winter an x-ray, his heart was enlarged so I went through the process of getting him a echocardiogram done, he's been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy... I did things not in proper order, I suppose, though and finally got blood work done per request of the veterinarian who did the echocardiogram last month. Winter has a slightly elevated calcium level, normal is like 10 point something and his was 11 or 11 point something. Primary vet wants to either retest, check something to do with the parathyroid or do some test for lymphoma. Retest because I may or may have not fed him that day, wasn't told to fast him though anyway, I don't remember exactly though but is it worth retesting because on the x-rays (I got done because of his chronic vomiting kind of dumbly not realizing his heart would be in them as well, and vet thought the heart was more concerning) there is some inflammation (I keep having to have things re-explained, it may be stomach or intestines that was, not sure which) but there's also an abdominal anomaly where I think his liver, pancreas, spleen and gallbladder might be despite barely even visible, circled in red (looking at one of the not so common cat diagrams I could find on Google).

I am unsure which to pay for as far as tests for hypercalcemia though with it being an 11 something versus 10 point something (10 I think she said was the high end though too) or none and just continue saving for a full/complete abdominal ultrasound which he still needs anyway at some point (probably January it looks like for the soonest)?
With his heart issue I don't really want him going under completely as far as anesthesia (he will probably need sedated for an abdominal ultrasound though), so I probably will never do or pay for a biopsy where they open him up and take bits from different segments, nor could I afford it I think it's a lot last time I looked as far as IBD and or lymphoma. I have his vomiting under control as long as I feed wet food (and a very small portion of dry when I need to which happens sometimes), even though the chronic vomiting could he caused IBD which I know leads to lymphoma sometimes (so it's a possible concern still). He has no other signs of being ill or sick, is active despite I stopped playing with him because of the HCM but he's active on his own no matter, he has a definite appetite and regular bowel movements not much on lists for symptoms of parathyroid, lymphoma or other hyperkalemia causes are there except vomiting.

I was actually starting get the vomiting under control before getting the x-rays done but felt I still should get them done. Thankfully I did get x-rays because in 2016 his previous vet didn't find his grade ll-lll heart murmur concerning, so I didn't think much of it then but researched sometime this past year or so further/more so and found some various reasons there could be a heart murmur. Realizing also that his was verging on not so concerning to concerning I planned to eventually get chest x-rays but didn't need to after all.

In the x-rays I am posting the gas bubble could be from accidentally letting him have a little food after he was supposed to start fasting at 6 PM or 8 PM, I got home 1-2 hours after that time so he fasted still for quite a good amount of time but I don't remember completely what time his appointment was or veterinarian thinks he could have worms despite none in his stool, none in his vomit and none as far as tapeworms which he's had before and I've been able to blatantly see. He may or may not still need a fecal done for that.

42381522_2188459818101081_303503249791516672_n.png 42386066_474458913064714_6268587133099835392_n.jpg 42386066_474458913064714_6268587133099835392_n.jpg

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry...not sure what your question is :paperbag: .

If you're wondering which test would be most beneficial, I think I would ask your Vet which would will give you the most bang for your buck. There are just so many things, and your Vet knows (I presume) what they are looking for.