Elevated bowl suggestions, please

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Boys will be boys.
Try as I might, I just can't get Calvin and Hobbes to stop playing with their water, so I thought I'd give an elevated bowl a shot. If you have experience with one that you love, please share and let me know where you picked it up (if you remember).

Or, if you have similar mischievous kitties and have found some other trick that works, I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

As always, thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I appreciate it!

Dave

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have two of these (the exact ones shown in the picture - the double bowls for food and water), and my only problem is that my boys play with the food that drops on the mat, and sometimes move the bowls around while playing with it. That then sloshes some of the water out. So...I just don't fill the water bowl as high, since we have several other water bowls AND a water fountain, which is actually what they mostly drink from anyway!:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=20534

BTW, the reason I got the raised bowls in the first place is because one of my boys is a little piggy, and used to lie down to eat when he was still a kitten. I had to put a stop to that right away. I think everyone enjoys having their dishes raised. At least it looks much more comfortable for them.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually - most of my cats prefer an elevated water bowl.

I use flower vases that have a stem with a wide bowl - works great - also for my outside cats - they enjoy the water that I have in the taller containers, too - they just go over to them, sit down and drink from the container - but, I do have to make sure that it's full - also, I think the water stays cooler that way.

I have a two-gallon plastic Arrowhead water jug that I just cut off the top, and we have a disposable water container, and a good way to recycle the plastic.

But, for those that enjoy bathing AND drinking - I still have the low water bowls. I just put a shop towel under it to collect the water splashed over the side.
It also helps that I have a ceramic tile floor.

Also - I have one cat that likes drinking out of a water bottle - you know - the kind used in the cat carrier. I just attached it onto the side of one of my cabinets. Since it has ounce measurements on it, I can see how much water she's drinking, too.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have an elevated food bowl, and it's quite fancy.

We put the bowl on a shoe box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the replies! I think I'll take some of the low-tech approaches mentioned and then work my way upward as needed.

Thanks again!

Dave

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how an elevated water bowl would stop them from playing in the water. Why do you object to that? I encourage water playing, because it might mean they are drinking more.

Use heavy square ceramic baking pans for water bowls (make sure they are made in USA). Those cannot be tipped over.

To contain spillage messes from busy splashing paws, simply put the water pans in a shallow tray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My wife objects to the water play since the water dish is in her office, and we have pseudo-hardwood floors. They are okay if the water doesn't stand there too long, but we don't always get to it as we both work full time.

Funnily enough, I have actually been putting the water on top of the table in there, and that is a decent enough solution if nothing else works.

Thanks again!

Dave