Electronic VS Printed BOOK......

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered this earlier. For those that have a Nintendo DS, Nintendo and HarperCollins made a deal - you can get 100 classics to read on your DS.

Of course there's also home brew readers and if you're technically inclined you can read anything on it.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, no! I love to read. Anything computer related is just like my job: work. I'd give up reading and go back to fishing!

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound funny, but even though I'm in the minority (preferring to read electronically on a handheld device), and I'm reading through everyone's comments, it really makes me like my e-books more.
For me, the pros outweigh the cons. I invested in the PDA just so I could get e-books-- they are cheaper to buy, and I didn't have to worry about storage space.

I don't like reading on the computer though. Just not comfortable because I can't curl up with it like with my PDA.

I only like reading news on the computer however.
It seems like I get more information in a few clicks and a web search, and it's more up-to-date by the minute than a newspaper.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another thing i just thought of. In ebooks or w/e you cant write in them!!! I often write notes in books especially if they are for a class or something adn it is more convenient to flip through the pages than scroll through a ebook thing, i would think.... I love books that have age to them!! It adds soo much more personality to the book!!

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

Another thing i just thought of. In ebooks or w/e you cant write in them!!! I often write notes in books especially if they are for a class or something adn it is more convenient to flip through the pages than scroll through a ebook thing, i would think.... I love books that have age to them!! It adds soo much more personality to the book!!
You can annotate, bookmark, look up words, and some other things in the e-book programs I use. For me, e-books are just SOOO much easier. Bookmarking is just the press of a button. Turning the page is just the press of a button or a tap on the screen or you could set it to Autoscroll and the text automatically scrolls down (I don't use this since it's hard on my eyes). But the big thing was the storage space. I don't have to worry about shelfspace anymore. And I'm a hoarder; I won't get rid of my books and even if it's just digitally, I'm hoarding them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat.Ling

And I'm a hoarder; I won't get rid of my books and even if it's just digitally, I'm hoarding them.
Me too.
Nothing like good old hard drive corruption to take care of that for you!
I still love real books, and it drives me absolutely crazy when people mark them or folder over pages - it's like desecrating them to me, so hopefully people aren't doing that anyways.

Also, if you find a nice ebook program you can skin it! I just wish linux had one like ubook reader.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Me too.
Nothing like good old hard drive corruption to take care of that for you!
Yes, I'm scared of that.
I keep a copy of the ebook files on my computer, and I always mean to make a disc copy too but haven't got around to it. I really should do that.

Luckily, there are copies on the sites that I buy the ebooks from as well, but there's no guarantee they will be there forever, and I'm probably taking up too much server space as it is with my account's 'bookshelf'.

ETA: Oh, oh, and one of the best reasons for e-books-- my hubby doesn't realize how many books and how much I spend because he doesn't see all the books.
He doesn't touch my PDA.