electronic litter boxes??

geechong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had several LitterMaid's. I think that it is a good product for one cat - but probably not for several. When they work - they work great - but when they break down - its a waste of money.

Some times the rake gets dirty and it is a pain to have to clean it too.

I have gone back to scooping manually.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had one of these and returned it to Petsmart because it was more irritating to me than scooping. When it did "clean" it only cleaned half of what was in there, and a lot of the time the red light was on indicating malfunction and I had to manually pick up the box to redistribute the litter and then push the button to make it go. It was a PITA. Now I use a regular litter box with World's Best and can't imagine switching to anything else. Easy to clean, little to no tracking and dust, and I only smell stuff if they don't cover it well enough.

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
toilet train - no litter. no licking litter, stool and urine off paws. no tracking it around the house to smell and attract fly, bugs and insects. completely sanitary, and the cats feel safe knowing it's 'gone' after they go.

3 months toilet training or 10 + years scooping, smell, bacteria, sickness

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo uses an open litterbox under the sink which is scooped every time I use the bathroom. There is very little odor (it only smells just after she has pooped which is understandable.)

I don't have room for a Littermaid and have heard too many horror stories of kittens killed by the mechanism, cat mess fouling the mechanism, etc. to consider this expensive toy worth it. It's no bother to scoop a box if you have good biodegradable litter, a healthy cat, and a nearby toilet.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I had one and it scared her but she eventually got used to it, then the feces would get stuck inthe rake and cleaning them was worse than scooping by hand. I gave it to a friend who had one and wanted another.

Now with high quality food and WBCL multicat I have no smell and scoop three boxes (one on each level of the house) once a day. Oddly, Abi has a preferred for using the garden level box for bowel movements and uses the others for urinating. But then again that makes sense because in the wild cats defecate in the outer limits of their territory. well that's what I read, so it must be true

jpinard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

I had one and it scared her but she eventually got used to it, then the feces would get stuck inthe rake and cleaning them was worse than scooping by hand. I gave it to a friend who had one and wanted another.

Now with high quality food and WBCL multicat I have no smell and scoop three boxes (one on each level of the house) once a day. Oddly, Abi has a preferred for using the garden level box for bowel movements and uses the others for urinating. But then again that makes sense because in the wild cats defecate in the outer limits of their territory. well that's what I read, so it must be true
What food do you use?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kinsey's Pet

What do you guys think about those electronic, self-cleaning litter boxes? I dont really want one at all but my soon-to-be roommates mom keeps telling us to get one even though i clean the litter box DAILY. I guess she thinks we will slack off and our apt. will stink. Anyway what do ya'll think about those. (i think its a $100 waste of money. Who's that lazy, j/k lol)
if you're home all day to scoop, i think you're probably right. i'm often gone from 730am until 6pm, & i don't like coming home to 'litterbox' odor. i have 3 littermaids for that reason. i know if i smell catbox when i walk in, the containers need emptying! they're also good for when i go out of town - i rarely am gone more than a few days, & that way no one has to worry about taking care of the boxes for me. i haven't had many problems with them, & they now come with a scooper that has tines on the end that fit between the rake tines, making it easier to clean out the rake when something gets stuck in it.