Electric blankets

catlady60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a diabetic with neuropathy in my feet. They are always cold but often the socks I wear come off. This is complicated by the fact that my apartment is poorly insulated so the bedroom is 4-10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. Both of my cats join me in the bed for part of the night. My doctor told me to get a space heater for the room, or an electric blanket for the bed. But I am concerned about danger to them from the blanket. One of them has 'wild' moments when she claws whatever is in reach(including me!), usually the sheet or towel. If she clawed the blanket when it was on, could she get hurt? This is serious because we have been in the 20s at night for weeks now and there is no relief in sight. I am trying to save my feet, but not at the expense of my cats!! Any information for me?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an electric blanket.  I also currently have a kitten. Apollo is 5 months old and I have noticed that he does not try to play with my electric blanket at all.  I got my now 6 year old cat Starbuck when she a 6 week old kitten.  Starbuck did not do anything to my electric blanket except climb in bed under it to sleep next to us.  My cats have never chewed on my electric blanket.  Apollo has pounced on my bed with his toys and has not damaged my electric blanket.  I turn it off when I am not using it and it is also under a comforter most of the time.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An electric blanket will be the most economical solution, do make sure it an 'all night' one that will control it's heat and take care your feet don't get too hot and burn. 

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also make heated type blankets that are made to be the bottom sheet you lay on it. If your worried about your cat scratching a blanket this bottom one might work better for you.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use it on the bottom like gardenandcats said. Cover it with a sheet or thin blanket and lay on top. You can turn it on to warm up your bed for a while then unplug it before you get in with the cats. The heat stays for a long time even after you unplug it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We've used an electric blanket for well over 20 years (not the same one
). The cats love it; in fact, as soon as we get home from work in the winter, we go back and plug the blanket in and turn both sides on for them. We give them dinner and, as soon as they're done eating and bathing, one by one, they go back to bed. And they're pretty much in bed the rest of the night.

On weekends and on days when I'm home all day, I keep the blanket on for them. Five of our eight are now considered to be geriatric cats and old bones get cold easily and stay cold. The cats love the blanket, probably as much as we do. We keep our house fairly cool during the winter, so the blanket helps them to stay warm.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did mean an electric underblanket, not an overblanket.  But the two are different and in the UK the underblankets are made rather like a fitted sheet, so you have to get the right size for the bed.  The very cheap ones have tapes but they are awkard to fit and can tend to crease which is uncomfortable and bad for the blanket.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First I wanted to say, get more cats. I have mine keeping me warm. But maybe an electric blanket is best in your case.

Meuzette, my old cat. Has a electric heating pad to keep her warm in her bed. She shares with a few stragglers who come and go.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More cats!  There are cartoons about people like you! 

On the down side to more cats, electric blankets are far far cheaper.  Cheap to buy, no vet bills, and it's cheaper to buy the electricity they use than even basic cat food....