Elderly cat wailing

amyshizzle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 I have a really old cat. She is either 18 or 19 years old.  Well she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and also needs more tests done to see if she has feline leukemia disease or something else ( I forgot what the vet said).  Well, I don't know what is wrong but for the past well...I am not sure how long but lets just say 6 months...she has been WAILING like she is in severe pain. It's a very deep, low wail/cry.  It's like she is screaming. She does it at night and all throughout the day.  She also sometimes forgets where to defecate.  We are treating her hyperthyroidism but that hasn't really helped the poo or the wails. Has anyone experienced this?  Should I be worried?  I think it may be close to the end, sadly.  I found what was either blood or really dark urine.  Also, her urine and cat litter dont mix well!  When she pees in the cat box it's like cement trying to get it out!  So horrible.  I don't know what to do other than more vet visits.  I think she may have dementia but the vet hasn't mentioned that at all to us.  I don't want her to be in such pain that she cries how she does.  Maybe later today I can record her wailing and show you, because she JUST stopped crying now....I could hear her and I am at the other end of the house.  

Anyone know what could be causing this or why?  I know we have to take her to the vet again and we will soon...probably this week.

I am wondering if I use the bedding I use for my bunnies if it would be better, but I don't know if she'd go in the box if I put that in.  It's horse stall pellets.  

I just want to know why she cries so loud all the time! 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wailing at night is something cats with hyperthyroid that isn't under control do  Is she being blood tested to see the thyroid treatment dose is correct?  Another part of uncontrolled or poorly controlled hyperthyroid is runny poo and/or vomiting.

However it could well be something else - your cat might be going deaf, or a little bit senile.  Have you discussed this with your vets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyshizzle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wailing at night is something cats with hyperthyroid that isn't under control do  Is she being blood tested to see the thyroid treatment dose is correct?  Another part of uncontrolled or poorly controlled hyperthyroid is runny poo and/or vomiting.

However it could well be something else - your cat might be going deaf, or a little bit senile.  Have you discussed this with your vets?
Yeah she just had her blood tested again and they upped the meds for the hyperthyroid.  She said it was getting better but still needed a boost in meds.  

When the vet called I said that she was wailing and she said she wanted to check her blood pressure again.