Elderly Cat Care- Senility and Deafness

studer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is now 22 and is nearly deaf. He yowls pretty loudly at night. He is such a loving boy still and seems happy. He is thin now and wants to eat much more often. I bough him a heated bed just before Christmas and it has been very very helpful in quieting him down. He sleeps more soundly thru the night an now only really meows in the early morning - usually around 5 am. I have been keeping a light on near his bed and in the kitchen as well as where his box is. I think this has also helped him feel less disoriented. The bed was about $45 - but he is so comforted by being warm I would easily have spent more. I know at 22 each week is a gift. He's a tough old guy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My cat is now 22 and is nearly deaf. He yowls pretty loudly at night. He is such a loving boy still and seems happy. He is thin now and wants to eat much more often. I bough him a heated bed just before Christmas and it has been very very helpful in quieting him down. He sleeps more soundly thru the night an now only really meows in the early morning - usually around 5 am. I have been keeping a light on near his bed and in the kitchen as well as where his box is. I think this has also helped him feel less disoriented. The bed was about $45 - but he is so comforted by being warm I would easily have spent more. I know at 22 each week is a gift. He's a tough old guy.
I like the idea of the heat pad - I think that would have been something helpful for my Pal in her later months too, the warmth helping her joint and muscle pain as well as a cozy location easier to find and settle in to.  She was blind, hard of hearing, and very arthritic but so close to reaching her 22nd birthday with a spring still in her paw,  but it wasn't to be.  I am glad you treasure every moment you have with your old guy @studer.