Elastic band eating!

manycatsforme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, one of my cats (mini mouse after her mother mouse) has a weird habit.
I have elastic bands in the house and she seems to love them, she plays with them and even eats them! I've tried hiding them but she alway finds them, what I'm worried about is her health, they can't be good for her, what should I do?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love the name!

It's nice that your cat likes to play elastic bands.

NOT nice if/when she eats them.  Could get caught in the intestine which means a trip to the vet.

I would take great efforts to hide them when you're not around to supervise.  I don't know what elastic bands are made of.  If plastic, she may be attracted to the feel, maybe smell, of them.  You could try to buy a pet toy that feels like the elastic bands and see if she likes those.

Also, see how she likes plastic bags (handles cut off!), the kind you carry your groceries in.  There is some thought that a reason cats like plastic so much is because they are made of an animal by-product.

A final thought: if you tie up your hair with these elastic bands, she may be attracted to your shampoo or YOU!

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine try to eat them too. I keep them in a locked drawer with other things I don't want them getting into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manycatsforme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well I'm a boy so i won't be tying up my hair with them but thanks for the plastic bag idea! 

Last edited:

denneamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Sadie also likes elastic hair bands as well as those sponges that are used to put on makeup foundation. She has figured out how to open the drawers where they are kept and has been smart enough to even figure out the new hiding places of where I keep them. I now have them locked up in a box within a drawer so she cannot get to them. It is an interesting trait that's for sure.