Egg yolks

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
On here I've seen people recommended raw egg yolks for things like hairballs, would cooked or hard boiled yolks work instead of raw?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i feed graycie hard boiled egg yolks it works i think or i know the hairballs come out thats for sure :lol:i always study/break apart her pukes to look for hair its usually once a month or so but will be a lil more frequent with summer pretty much here now far as seeing hair in her poop goes i use arm n hammer litter its a sandy kinda litter so things are covered in sand when i clean her litter so i cant tell if any came out i do know the hairballs she pukes are about a quarter sized little lump

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A hard cooked egg yolk is fine. You don't have to dry it out and grind it into powder. Just smush the egg yolk up and mix into food. Not all cats will readily accept egg yolk so you may have to do a slow transition with small amounts of egg yolk mixed into food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hard cooked egg yolk is fine. You don't have to dry it out and grind it into powder. Just smush the egg yolk up and mix into food. Not all cats will readily accept egg yolk so you may have to do a slow transition with small amounts of egg yolk mixed into food.
Yes to all of this. Our cats get daily egg yolk.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no wrong way to do egg yolk except raw white. Raw white has an anti-nutrient that binds biotin. But yolk has more than enough biotin that whole egg is not an issue here. You can offer raw yolk, cooked yolk, hard boiled yolk, hard boiled whole egg or cooked whole egg, egg yolk powder, or egg yolk lecithin (extracted component of egg yolk.) Unless you cook or eat eggs daily, the amount of egg that goes to the cat is so small that a preparation like egg yolk powder or egg yolk lecithin is going to be the easiest to keep up. Besides the recipe above, I found it's easiest to buy a ready-made yolk powder.
EZ Egg Yolk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually was asking because I sometimes make hard boiled eggs for myself so was hoping maybe I could share the egg. I think eggs here are pasteurized ok maybe not pasteurized but you can safly eat a raw egg from a Canadian supermarket but I don't like raw egg, it's just slimy and weird. But if I could get the same results with a hard boiled egg I could eat the white and give my cats the yolk.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually was asking because I sometimes make hard boiled eggs for myself so was hoping maybe I could share the egg. I think eggs here are pasteurized ok maybe not pasteurized but you can safly eat a raw egg from a Canadian supermarket but I don't like raw egg, it's just slimy and weird. But if I could get the same results with a hard boiled egg I could eat the white and give my cats the yolk.
Yes. You can give them the hard boiled yolk. But be advised, egg yolk has laxative properties. Start small until you how they handle it. I would give one cat half a teaspoon and then watch the litterbox the next day for a soft poop. Repeat with each cat, only giving the egg yolk to one cat at a time so you can reasonably infer that any soft poop (or blowout) came from the egg yolk cat. Because of the laxative effect, I never got very far with egg yolk with my cats.🤦🏼‍♂️😔

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. You can give them the hard boiled yolk. But be advised, egg yolk has laxative properties. Start small until you how they handle it. I would give one cat half a teaspoon and then watch the litterbox the next day for a soft poop. Repeat with each cat, only giving the egg yolk to one cat at a time so you can reasonably infer that any soft poop (or blowout) came from the egg yolk cat. Because of the laxative effect, I never got very far with egg yolk with my cats.🤦🏼‍♂️😔
Laxative effect might not be a bad thing during coat blowing season, especially with Kabby who is 14. He gets hairballs during the coat blowing season. He is short haired but spring and fall his fur really sheds. So does Indy's but she doesn't get hairballs.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laxative effect might not be a bad thing during coat blowing season, especially with Kabby who is 14. He gets hairballs during the coat blowing season. He is short haired but spring and fall his fur really sheds. So does Indy's but she doesn't get hairballs.
Yes, we definitely find the laxative effect very helpful for our cats! Our fluffier cat gets about 1/6 of an egg yolk each day; the other cat gets about 1/8 a day. I worked up to those quantities to be sure I wasn't going to cause litter box problems. (I boil the eggs myself. I used to buy the Food Fur Life egg powder but sometimes it got lumpy in the refrigerator so I decided to make my own.)

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, we definitely find the laxative effect very helpful for our cats! Our fluffier cat gets about 1/6 of an egg yolk each day; the other cat gets about 1/8 a day. I worked up to those quantities to be sure I wasn't going to cause litter box problems. (I boil the eggs myself. I used to buy the Food Fur Life egg powder but sometimes it got lumpy in the refrigerator so I decided to make my own.)
I’m looking at your calculations , I give 1 fresh egg yolk divided by 3 cats. Probably 2x a week. ( whenever I ménage to get to the coop before breakfast, not to often lol). Only fresh row

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m looking at your calculations , I give 1 fresh egg yolk divided by 3 cats. Probably 2x a week. ( whenever I ménage to get to the coop before breakfast, not to often lol). Only fresh row
Oh, you and your cat are lucky!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, you and your cat are lucky!
Yes we are thank you. The bonus….they can see chicken coop from the sunroom. It’s entertainment end dinner!!! It’s mid evil times every day,lol (mid evil times is show with knights and real horses and princess and you eat with the hands!!)