Egg yolk powder x egg yolk lecithin for hairballs?

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried both, and what changes did you notice?

So this shedding season has been rough on my longhaired cat, who has presumptive IBD and normally vomits 1 hairball every 4-5 weeks. They had increased in frequency (we had one at a one week interval, which threw me off), so I started him on egg yolk powder. No hairballs again for 5 weeks. I thought he might be allergic to egg yolk, though, as there were drops of blood on his stool, so I switched to egg yolk lecithin... 3 days later we got a hairball (after 5 weeks), then 2 days later another one.

Seeing as his behavior and his appetite are fine, I'm not inclined to see the vet about this - he's seen them so often this year. I figure they'd do an ultrasound, which will just show inflammation again (he's done it twice this year, once in January and then again in late March). Malt paste is a popular recommendation by vets here, so I'd probably get that, too. I actually give it to him already when he's on egg yolk powder, because he doesn't like it mixed with his food, so I mix it with the paste.

But anyway... I thought the egg yolk lecithin was a good alternative to the powder, but this confused me. I started him back on the egg yolk powder + malt paste this morning, and am hoping that once again it will help him. It was also helping him pass stool more often, so all in all it's a great supplement, I just need to pray he isn't allergic to it (I'm told quail egg could be an alternative if he is, though).

Every once in a while I see a post on the IBDKitties facebook group about cats that pass hairballs almost daily, and I had been grateful that this was one of the problems we didn't have... well. :(

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So if they suspect IBD, I am not sure why he isn't getting medication for that. Usually they will start them on a low dose steroid to get the inflammation under control. You don't want a chronic inflamed area because that can lead to cancer. I personally wouldn't give anything other than a novel protien diet like rabbit or venison, since IBD is often food allergy related.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. So if they suspect IBD, I am not sure why he isn't getting medication for that. Usually they will start them on a low dose steroid to get the inflammation under control. You don't want a chronic inflamed area because that can lead to cancer. I personally wouldn't give anything other than a novel protien diet like rabbit or venison, since IBD is often food allergy related.
He was on prednisolone for 2 months between January - March. Then he had another ultrasound done and the vets recommended a diet change.. sadly, it took me months to get their help for a prescription homecooked diet. I finally did last week, and had to wait for the supplement to arrive, so if all goes well I will make him some food today.

I did try a diet change for a month (also home cooked, but not prescribed) between April and May, and we had no hairballs.

So the vets do think it’s a food allergy, but they want to be conservative with the use of medication. It’s scary, I’m aware of the danger of cancer :(