egg yolk and constipation?

zoe2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone i have a constipated cat and i was searching for natural laxatives and i came across egg yolks. the information was not that clear though, it's written 1 or 2 egg yolks a week. my cat is 14lbs so idk how much I'm supposed to give him, and if i can give him daily or every other day of the week. I tried adding powder egg yolk but he rather raw yolk. does anyone have an idea if a tablespoon daily would be fine?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I believe I have read on this site to give no more than a teaspoon of raw egg yolk (no white) at a time. Whether that needs to be daily, every other day, etc. is probably going to take some experimenting on your part.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of people who feed a yolk at a time once or twice a week for hairball control. I have also used no more than 1/8 tsp of the powder daily with my cats with larger amounts producing litterbox blowouts. I think it really is just a trial and error. The powder is recommended because most cats will eat less than a yolk at a time. Unless you are a daily eggs eater, you are wasting a lot of yolk. If you are a daily eggs eater and he likes raw yolk, you might do what I did with Krista before she couldn’t have chicken or egg anymore (IBD.). I let her lick the scrambled eggs bowl clean after I poured it into the pan. But I also simply scramble the eggs by themselves and don’t add anything to them until after they are cooked. If you add milk or anything else to your scrambled eggs, you may want to reserve the raw yolk portion first rather than letting him clean the bowl.

Side note: Feeding raw egg white on its own to cats should be avoided as it has an anti-nutrient that binds one of the B-vitamins. Scrambled with yolk or cooked is fine. The amount of that B-vitamin in the yolk overwhelms the anti-nutrient making it moot. Cooking destroys that anti-nutrient.