Egg-cellent Eggs.

missprincess92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I have a 3 month old kitten named fatman. I noticed he was starting to lose a bit of weight. (He eats & drinks normally). Anyways, I had another litter WAY before this & one of the babies was pretty small. So, I talked my then vet (he passed away very unexpectedly) & he suggested feed the baby just plain ole' scrambled eggs. He said it would help her. It did, she put on weight & was healthy in no time.

So, when fatman started to not look so chubby anymore, I started to give him scrambled eggs. Not every day, but once every couple of days. So, his weight is looking great again.

My question is, what are the benefits to feeding them scrambled eggs? I know they are great for protein, but is that it? I've Googled to see why exactly they are good for them other than the added protein & Google has literally been no help. Anyone with ideas?:think:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many cats don't care for the egg white. 90% of the egg white is just water. But you're scrambling them. You're feeding them cooked so in moderation they're fine for kitty. I know this is regarding raw but there's a lot of nutrients in egg yolks.
Feed My Cat a Raw Egg Yolk? - Feline Nutrition Foundation
Don't worry about avidin since you are cooking the egg whites destroys avidin.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eggs are an eggs-cellent food. The whites are a good source of high-quality protein. The yolk contains a high fat content and also good protein. The yolks are where you're getting your calories; 79 calories in a whole egg with 54 calories from the yolk. The yolks are practically a multi-vitamin. In all, eggs are the benchmark food for bioavailability, at 100% digestibility.

As valentine mentioned, feed in moderation. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Two eggs per week is a nice healthy treat. And do make sure the whites are cooked. The yolks can be fed cooked or raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missprincess92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many cats don't care for the egg white. 90% of the egg white is just water. But you're scrambling them. You're feeding them cooked so in moderation they're fine for kitty. I know this is regarding raw but there's a lot of nutrients in egg yolks.
Feed My Cat a Raw Egg Yolk? - Feline Nutrition Foundation
Don't worry about avidin since you are cooking the egg whites destroys avidin.
I actually read that article before posting on here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missprincess92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do feed him eggs in moderation. I know they can also bee dangerous as a cat eating one egg is like a human eating eight.