eek!! kitten and resident cat hissing at each other!!!

zorisuzaru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello my fellow cat lovers, I hope someone can give me some advice.

My 9 year old persian, Titch, has been on his own now for just over 10 months, he was very close to our last cat, Bubbles, who sadly passed away at the start of last year. 

Today we brought home a female kitten, Sushi, from the same breeder as Titch. She is 13 weeks old. When he first saw her, he hissed and growled, so we separated them, but now she is beginning to hiss back whenever they see one another- I am worried that the damage has been done now!!! He will even try to run towards her as if he is about to attack :(

I have set her up in my room now with all of her things, and I wont let Titch enter, so that she knows the space is safe for her. Taking her back or giving her away is simply out of the question, a pet is for life with me no matter what.

Does anyone have any similar experience or suggestions?? I know some people may think we made a mistake by introducing them so quickly, however this is what we have always done for 20+ years of experience with persian cats. I know that introducing a new cat will undoubtedly be stressful for all involved, but if anyone has any suggestions to minimise this stress for the both of them I would be grateful. They both have wonderful temperaments with us, and apart from her reaction to Titch, she has settled in to everything else quite well. 

Thank you! 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to scent swap. Sometimes rubbing both catsin a similar scent can help, too. Take it slow....