Eddie the male tortoiseshell kitten who is Britain's rarest cat

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My sister has a dilute calico male, and a non-dilute one used to live around the corner from us in the 1980s. It happens.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know in one of the vets offices around here there was a male torti named Boy George.

I can see the torti in this little guy. Not much by way of markings, but there is definatly orange & a little white in that coat.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a foster kitten earlier this year who was a male calico. He is now adopted. They are not all that rare.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a calico kitten come into the shelter late last year who was named Mandy. Then we found that Mandy had a couple of "secrets" she'd been hiding, and she was promptly renamed Manly!

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by iheartstrays

We had a calico kitten come into the shelter late last year who was named Mandy. Then we found that Mandy had a couple of "secrets" she'd been hiding, and she was promptly renamed Manly!
We have one at work right now (male calico) He's the first one I have seen in my 2 yrs there. He's mostly black and white but has a small orange patch on his head. He's very purdy

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Karen, 38, said: 'As a vet I can tell you that it is genetically impossible to get a male cat that is tortoiseshell coloured.

'My colleagues and I have 30 years of experience between us and we have never seen anything like this.'
That is weird! 30 yrs vet experience and has never heard of this?
Somebody needs to get out more

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a male torti persian in the NW CFA region who has successfully bred a female. I met him, actually.

EDIT - TICA actually, not CFA

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems as though male calicos are around, but male tortoiseshells are much less common.