Eating too fast???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonim68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From time to time is to be expected. Furballs and such. But THIS is ridiculous! The way it comes up seems as if he's just wolfing it down too fast. Poor kitty.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another good tip to help kitties who eat too fast it to put something like a large rock in the food dish. It keeps them from just scarfing down the food because they have to work to get the food from around the rock. The cat can still eat as much as he wants but due to the obstacle he can't just inhale the food. I've met many kitties that eat so fast that they later end up vommiting, it often has nothing to do with the quality of the food just they eat so fast that they end up with too much unchewed food in their little bellies.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raising the bowl worked for my Sam. I had a little plant stand bench that is just the right height. But you could also use a phone book, or a box, anything to raise it a few inches off the floor. It makes him stretch his neck more when he reaches for the food, and then he swallows is properly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonim68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still trying to find something that is funtional as well as fashionable to prop up the kitty bowls. But the rock sounds like a great idea. Odd, but very ingenious!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My violet does this too. It was hard to monitor how much she was inhaling when she ate with her 3 brothers and sisters. Now she eats at the basement landing, I shut the door, she has a very small amount in the dish, and everyone else eats in the kitchen. After around a half hour, and all uneaten food is off the floor, I open the door, her dish is empty and no vomit!  I put the left overs down a few hours later. Everyone helps themselves. It has been working so far, it has been a few months. I think there have been 2 vomits, I think because I put too much in the dish.