Eating plastic

dhbumford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aurora has a bad habit of eating the plastic bags that I place in the small waste baskets. It seems to occur when she is streseed i.e. wants more attention. What can I do to stop this?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stop using plastic bags or keep trash cans behind closed doors.

I realize that's a smartazz answer, but, it is what I had to do.   I think my cat checks all trash cans daily just to see be sure I've not gone back to plastic bags.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In addition, if you want to use plastic bags make sure you have a waste basket or small garbage can with a permanent lid that Aurora can't get into or open.  Cats are notorious for biting plastic bags.  Carleton waits for me to open the kitchen cabinet just so he can investigate anything and everything plastic.
  Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dhbumford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help.The bags keep the waste baskets clean and are easy to remove the trashallway so I really don't want to stop using them. What I just tried is to close the bags and push them down into the waste baskets so Aurora can't easily get to them. It's working so far.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn't trying to be rude or anything.  We really had a plastic trash bag problem.  He would drag any bag out he could find, empty or full.  It'd look like a tissue trail through the house.
He was actually checking the trash cans when we let him in, looking for bags.

We put a couple behind cabinet doors, close the bathroom doors when he's in the house, and removed the bags from the office trashcans.