Eating from the freezer

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DD is away at school but is no longer on the meal plan as of this semester so I bought a 5 cubic square foot chest freezer. She has things she can cook for herself in it but I also make things like batches of chili, casseroles, stuff like that, portion them out into containers, freeze them and then bring them to her so all she has to do is heat them up. Potatoes, pasta, rice, they all freeze great. I make her burritos with chorizo sausage and chunks of baked potato that I add to the sausage in the pan and then top that in the tortilla with shredded cheddar cheese before I roll them. They freeze and reheat perfectly and she loves them for breakfast or lunch. 

I love hot dogs. :)
What a good mum you are.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Freezing slices of lime, lemon or orange works brilliantly for putting in to water / drinks when you want a bit of flavour or as a nice alternative to an ice cube.  Got that trick of a friend's mother way back when....
That's a good idea. I didn't consider that. I've been dehydrating lemon and limes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Speaking of freezers, Rick's mother is going into assisted living soon. We're going to need to clean out her upright freezer in the basement. That should be interesting. 
Ewww, that reminds me of the episode of "Hoarders. Buried Alive" I watched the other day. 
 Hope there isn't anything too scary in there.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small freezer above my fridge and it is packed. I hoard food. I guess the food would last me about 10 days.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This would be a good time for you guys to politely leave your addresses here.. That way, if I starve, I'll know where to find food! In return, I'll purr and beg for belly rubs 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

This would be a good time for you guys to politely leave your addresses here.. That way, if I starve, I'll know where to find food! In return, I'll purr and beg for belly rubs 

Actually, Norachan, the freezer isn't that bad at all. Rick went up to his mother's yesterday while I was baking. He came home with a tote of frozen food: some sausages and hotdogs, some ground beef, frozen buttermilk, some boneless/skinless breasts, some containers of chicken stock, etc. Everything is properly labeled and nothing is from before May of 2015. I can use it all and I am grateful for the food. She also gave me some of her baking ingredients, so I have some extra flour (that I put into freezer bags and tucked in the freezer), some dark and light brown sugars, some bread flour, the vanilla that I just gave her and the maple syrup that I just gave her. I'm the family baker and she knows I'll put this to good use. She also gave us six frozen egg whites that I kept. Six more egg whites and I'll have enough for an angel food cake.....you simply cannot beat a homemade angel food cake! 

And this morning, I stopped off at her house on my way to work with three apple dumplings and two caramelized onion sourdough biscuits. So it all works out.

Last edited: