Eating + Drinking = puking?

jdanham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the blunt thread topic but I thought it might draw more attention.

I have a 7 year old indoor only neutered male Abyssinian cat who is a very energetic, active cat. I think his metabolism runs hot all the time.
He has had this ongoing behavior where, most often after the first meal of the day (Purina Pro Vet wet diet) he drinks some water and then a bit more. We're pretty sure he doesn't drink at night and we are pretty sure he doesn't have kidney problems. May 50-60% of the time after drinking the water he will throw up his breakfast with some or all of the wet food. Usually just one be sometimes 2-3 more smaller ejections.
Along with this behavior, he sometimes. after drinking, coughs and then has these violent convulsions for about 10-15 seconds. It happens so randomly and infrequently we've never been able to capture the convulsions on video. It might be just water went down the wrong way? Epilepsy?

Anyway we see the first behavior more often so I welcome any feedback from others who may have seen the same thing in their household.

Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long does he go without eating before he eats that first meal of the day? Stomach acid can build up and cause a cat to regurgitate afterward. He might also be eating too fast as well - another possibility when a cat goes too long without eating. I'd make sure he eats something later in the evening and see if it stops. Feeby was throwing up food the first thing in the morning, and we thought it might be from stomach acid, so we started to ensure she ate something later in the evening/night so that she wasn't going as long without food and since we've done that, she stopped throwing up food in the AM.

I have no idea regarding your second issue. Do you take the cat for annual checkups? If so, have you ever mentioned it to the vet? When it happens, afterward jot down notes to yourself - with dates included - about whatever you can recall was going on right beforehand. And, then take those notes with you to talk to the vet about it on his next checkup.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would definitely talk with your vet about this. HOWEVER...part of the issue might be "too much, too fast." There are various feeders that can help slow cats' eating down. If you google "puzzle feeders" a whole array will come up for you. You might also try feeding him three smaller meals per day, one first thing, one mid-afternoon, and one late night, so that he doesn't go too long between feedings. That's been known to help in some cases.