Eating And Drinking More Than Usual?

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if it's something I should worry about. I feel as though my cat is eating alot more than usual. Maybe its just at night? My feeding schedule is half a can of food in the morning and he has dry food through out the day. But I only fill the dry food once a day, so if he finishes it before its filled again it will be empty till then, this is to prevent over eating I suppose? Also I don't fill the bowl full, I give about the recommended amount. This has been his feeding schedule ever since I've got him, which is about 4 years now.

Usually he eats alittle of the dry food in sessions and finishes it roughly around the time it needs to be topped up. Last night I topped up his food and started eating it, the bowl is in my room so I kinda know what he's up to when he's eating. I went about doing my thing and realized he's been eating for a long time and not stopping, so I kinda stopped him? Didn't put the bowl down for him until the next day after his breakfast. It seemed like he was doing well during the day. Wasn't eating much and stuff. The same thing kinda happened tonight as well after his top up. I don't know if I should just let him finish eating it and so he'll have no dry food till the next top up, or should I stop him?

Tonight it also seemed like he drank so much water. Usually I don't get to see him drink water but I know he does get water from the can food and I have seen him drink water a couple of times. But tonight he came in twice to drink water. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but I'm kinda worried. I probably should monitor him for a couple more days? What do you guys think?

- Worried cat mum...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not saying this is what it is, but ravenous eating and drinking are symptoms of feline diabetes. I'd reccommend taking him to the vet to get everything checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear.. I can't seem to find what causes feline diabetes? Do you think it's his diet? What kind of changes in behaviour to note for as well? Though his ravenous eating seems to only be at night. During the day he doesn't really bother about food and sleeps. Out in the open though, not hiding. I guess I probably should just go to the vet some time soon.

Thank you for replying!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Feline diabetes is caused by insufficient insulin production, like it is in humans. This can be congenital (like human type-1 diabetes) or developed (like human type-2 diabetes). One in approximately 230 cats has feline diabetes, (of those approx. 80-95% mimic type-2 diabetes), so it isn't uncommon. Feline diabetes isn't curable, but it is manageable with giving insulin injections.

Please note that here I'm just providing you with some information about feline diabetes. I am not by any means able to provide a diagnosis over the Internet. Feline diabetes can cause ravenous eating and drinking, but I can't be sure if that is what's causing this behavior in your cat. But, any change in behavior does indicate that *something* is up, which means I do think that you should make a vet appointment. A vet's diagnosis will certainly be more accurate than my mere speculations.

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I totally understand. I'll probably book an appointment soonest! Thank you again!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
have them run a chemical profile and CBC to see what's going on. Sometimes it's diabetes-other times could be other things. high thyroid also causes excessive eating/drinking. Has he lost weight at all?

you would want to find the best protein sources=wet food! kibble has too many carbs in it=best thing is slowly transition off crunchies onto wet-this is a long process but doable! Read the labels and make sure it lists meat as the first ingredient on the label-but that's for USA. I don't know how the laws are set up in Singapore. In the USA we try to avoid grains- corn, wheat gluten etc. Try to find foods with meat listed instead of byproduct. More companies are coming out with unique protein sources which gives our fur babies a good variety of food: Beef, pork, rabbit, kangaroo for example instead of the usual chicken and fish.

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasn't lost any weight so far. Well I might be pre-maturely paranoid since its only the second night he's eating alot? haha Oh yea, I did alot of researching on dry food before purchasing. He's currently on Addiction dry food, both the salmon and venison. Canned food is Applaws, though I am thinking of switching too. >< I'm trying not to watch him like a hawk right now. haha my mum is telling me to stop freaking out.