Eat healthy with me! A kinda, sorta blog here on TCS.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about a post like this for a long time now. I've mentioned before that I am diabetic and that I also suffer from an eating disorder (which I'm "technically" in recovery from). Well, I am having a difficult time as I recently gained weight due to my diabetes as well as a thyroid issue. My usual go-to would be to not eat and restrict, exercise, and even throw up (purge) in order to lose weight. I don't have a lot to lose, but I am one who will most definitely go overboard. This time, I don't want to go that route. Not only is it the antithesis of being healthy, but, being a brittle diabetic, it could be very dangerous. So, I need some accountability in order to be the healthiest me. And, what better a place to go than here?! I'd like to post what I eat daily so that I can have support and help from people who I respect and who I know respect me. I can't guarantee I'd post all my meals, but I want to make a conscious effort. And, I need your help. Call me out on things, ask me questions, and I'll gladly do the same for you. With kindness and mutuality, of course! If you'd like to join in, go for it. The more the merrier!

Those of us on FB can check in there as well, but I'd like this to be a supportive blog of sorts. It's not a dieting thread though that can be a part. However, this is more about getting and staying healthy. Post meal ideas, recipes, and tips. But, please, no passing judgement on others who may eat or exercise differently than you do. I want this to be a positive place. So, who's with me?!

(And mods, I'd like to keep this here on this forum if possible as it is easily accessible by all. But, if it needs to be moved or deleted, please let me know. My apologies if this is inappropriate in any way.)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sweet girl!
I am with you.... I have been eating some junk lately, and need to go back to some nice healthy habits..... meaning....... I need to spend some time grocery shopping! Don't want to gain back those 80lbs I lost :nono:

So - yep, you can count on me! :hugs:

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a brilliant idea, I have just took up boxing once a week for fitness as I desperately want to lose some weight for summer. I have been thinking about the things that I eat too and how I can help my new fitness regime. I'm not just boxing, I use the gym facilities too and boxing is a brilliant sport, especially to tone up your arms which I need to.

I also have a thyroid issue, mine is overactive, I am on meds but still not 100% right and I have been on them for over a year now, still having blood tests to get me on the right amount, people just think once you are on the meds the weight should drop off (yeah right
).x

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to know I won't be alone in this. It is definitely a help to know that I will have people supporting me. And, in turn, I can offer support to those who need it.

Today, while browsing the internet, I came across a website that tracks calories, protein, carbohydrates, and fat. It has a huge database of foods and it has helped me already. It also will help track exercise, calories burned, and weight. It's free to join and while it may not be right for everyone, it is already helping me remain accountable for what I eat and how much I exercise. My goal will be not to take it too far, but, for now, my head is in the right place. So, we'll see...

I figure it's time to really start. Here is what I had for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is forthcoming -- I'm just nowhere near hungry yet.

Breakfast:

1.5 cups of Cheerios Multi-Grain Peanut Butter cereal

2 light mozzarella cheese sticks

1 banana

1.5 cups of 2% milk (part of the milk total went to the cereal)

Lunch:

15 baby carrots

3 tablespoons of roasted garlic hummus

TGI Fridays chicken and broccoli alfredo (it's from the freezer department of the grocery store -- they come in single serve bags that can be steamed in the microwave)

Diet Dr. Pepper

I also found a found an easy workout on Netflix that is a 10 minute cardio routine. So, I did that. I was surprised how hard it was 
, but it was worth it as it was measurable and something I couldn't overdo. And, surprisingly, it was fun. I even burned ~98 calories.

Anyway, I'll be back to post about dinner at some point. First, though, I need to let the dogs out and feed the kitties before they get mad at me. Ha ha!

Last edited:

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be following this!! I'm trying to eat healthy too. I may start a blog as well and do pictures of what I eat. Even though, I get no privacy at lunch to do this...I work full time and I have been buying lunch which is so bad since it ends up being unhealthy, like I have been obsessed with chic fil a for breakfast and lunch lol..it's horrible for you though!!

I went grocery shopping and bought some chicken breast and ground turkey and some veggies so I'll be making some lunches and dinners out of those. I am going to go back and buy some peanut butter and some protein bars because sometimes I just crave something sweet and protein bars are pretty nutritious and not all that bad for you so I will eat that when I am craving something sweet..

I mostly just need ideas- i don't have good habits so i need to build them.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you are recovering from your eating disorder. Congrats on staying strong and not hurting yourself for gaining a few pounds. :hugs:

I'll be happy to post on this thread- might not post every day but I will try my best! :lol3: I suppose I'll start with what I ate today.

Breakfast:Pancakes with maple syrup and a glass of milk.

Lunch: Soup and a turkey, lettuce, and mayonnaise sandwich.

Dinner: Chile con carne with pasta and cheddar cheese.

Dessert: A few slices of raspberry jam marbled coffee cake.

I'm pretty sure I ate some snacks along the way but I can't remember them ATM. :lol3:

ETA: By the way, what is the website you found called?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize for staying away from this thread. Things have been a bit more difficult than anticipated and I've not wanted to come here, post something, and find that people are disappointed in me. I'm afraid of disappointing a lot of people right now...

Food-wise, eating healthy has been fairly easy. I've not struggled too much with temptation. However, it's been an eye opening experience considering that I'm 5 days in and already showing signs of obsessive thinking and a return to eating disordered behaviors. I'm ashamed to even admit that, but this is the only place I can talk about things. I would be hurting a lot of people if I told them that I've been struggling with food intake and keeping what I do eat down -- and, in some cases, there would be consequences that I don't think I could handle. But, that's neither here nor there.

Yesterday was not the best. I had a Special K protein bar for breakfast along with some milk and then ate at Cracker Barrel with my mother. When I added the calories of my dinner, I about had a heart attack. I had gone way over and then felt the need to compensate for that. It was a normal meal, but the thought of going over my daily allotment had me anxious. I got through it -- not without acting out some, but I got through it nonetheless. Today has not been better as I have engaged in eating disorder behaviors, but, this evening, I pulled it back together and I even made myself a yummy dessert for a snack. And, I'm okay with what I ate...which is the most important part...

I figured since some people might want a low calorie dessert idea, I'd post what I had here.

3 2 1 Cake

Ingredients needed: 1 box of angel food cake and 1 box of any other flavor cake, water, a microwave, and a small bowl or mug

Take the contents of both cake boxes and place them into a baggie and mix the contents well

For a single serving, take 3 tablespoons of the mix and place into a microwavable bowl or mug

Then, stir in 2 tablespoons of water and mix

Finally, place the bowl or mug into the microwave and heat for 1 minute

Once cooled down, you can add frosting or whipped cream

I wasn't sure a cake made in the microwave with just cake mix and water would be good. But, it was actually quite delicious and it was very light in calories, sugar, and the like. I had it with some coffee and it felt like I was eating something decadent for about a tenth of the calories. I found the dessert online so I can take no credit for it, but it was good and I'd recommend it to others.

Lastly, I've made an appointment with my doctor so that I can clue her in on what's going on with me. I had hoped for an appointment in the next two weeks, but once she knew why I wanted to come in, she squeezed me in for tomorrow morning at 9:00am. I'm going to the gym before that and I'm hoping that will help lessen my anxiety. My doctor has been with me through the worst of my eating disorder and I know she cares about me -- she will help me nip this in the bud before it becomes truly serious. I am also going to be contacting a counselor and setting an appointment up there. I had hoped this wouldn't come to be, but, apparently, the slightest change has tipped me off. But, I'm alright and will continue to move forward in a healthy way. And, as I do that, I will try not to hide so much and post frequently with updates on all fronts. It's not going to be easy, but I'm going to do it. No matter what...

Oh, and for those interested, the website I was speaking of in an earlier post is entitled My Fitness Pal. It can be accessed on the computer, an iPad, or on a cell phone.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww Hang in there hun..... and we will never ever be disappointed at you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Have a wonderful consult tomorrow......
Now it seems I have to buy some box cake........ and a microwave! As I don't have one! ha! wait - maybe I can make this on my NuWave oven :think:
Will try! Thanks for sharing it sounds yummy!
:hugs: