east coast people, how ya doing with the storm?

tonim68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in Valley Cottage, NY - about a half hour out of NYC and we didn't get diddly. It rained but that's about it. Phooey. I was all set for a beating!
Oh well... I'm sure pussycats are relieved!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On update from the news at CP24.com

BLOWN AWAY

Looks, they say, can be deceiving. If you check out what tropical storm Isabel is bringing to the G.T.A., you may not think it's as bad as predicted. But if you examine pictures from across the border, you get an entirely different story.

At least fourteen people are dead and states of emergency have been declared in North Carolina, Virginia, Washington, Maryland, West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, after the storm's full fury cut a wide swath across the U.S. Almost four million people are without power from the Carolinas to Pennsylvania, and officials are warning they could stay that way for days, as crews begin the clean-up.

Storm surges as high as 11 feet sent waves crashing into homes and businesses, with the angry waters driven into the streets of some cities. Bridges and tunnels were swamped, thousands of trees were broken apart, and hundreds of homes were damaged, as the howling hurricane twisted its way up the coast. "We have trees on houses everywhere," confirms J.D. Brickhouse a North Carolina county manager. "We have roofs that have been blown off."

While the worst of the weather is over, for many the aftermath is just beginning. Officials are trying to assess just how much damage Isabel did, while those who fled their homes return to see if there's anything left - all the while knowing they may have to go through it yet again. Hurricane season in the U.S. lasts until November.

Meanwhile, the U.S. capital is paralyzed by flooding, downed trees and power outages. U.S. federal offices shut down on Thursday and remain closed. Washington's subway and bus system are also closed. Amtrak halted all train service south of the D.C. area. Most of Congress skipped town before the storm. Dulles International and Reagan National airport have both cancelled all their flights, at least until noon Friday, when the situation was to be reassessed.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was out for a bit this morning. Went to school to pick up some books I need for the weekend--no electricity and it's only 2 blocks from my house. There are trees and branches down all over the place, some of the trees were quite large, but luckily fell into the street and not on anyone's houses or cars. Some of the traffic lights are out, too, must be where the power is out.

onyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello :-)
I don't know why I put a smiley face up there -I still don't have power and am very bitter about it ;-) I don't care so much about the cold showers, not being able to dry my hair, or not having a/c....but it's my kittens!!! They are so traumatized ;-) They hate the heat and are shedding like mad so the hairballs are an issue for them....and they are scared of the flashlights b/c they think the shadows they make are chasing them (which is in a sick way very funny to watch) :-) Poor babies...I'm hoping I will get home from work today and will have power ....I need TV! I have finished 3 books since the start of this hurricane and can hardly stand all of the knowledge I've been acquiring ;-)

I faired pretty well during the storm considering. We sat on our neighbors enclosed porch (right where the chesapeake bay meets the Atlantic ocean) and watched a catamaran take out large portions of the Lynnhaven fishing pier. THEN, we watched parts of the pier and other peoples staircases crash into ours and our neighbor's stairs to the beach and take them out as well. It is amazing the power of those seawalls! The water never came over the deck just crashed against it. So Saturday, I learned how to build stairs and in between reading on the beach and swimming in the now glassy waters of bay we rebuilt our staircase. It used to take 4 stairs to reach the sand from the deck.....it took 11 on Saturday b/c of the loss of sand!

I almost went to my parents house to weather the storm instead and am so relieved that I chose not to. They had 8 trees ALMOST hit the house. Instead they hit the cars. One fell across my mom's trunk so she'll need to get that replaced. The other fell on their new-ish little suv. Everyone thinks may have to be totaled b/c one fell across the roof and did major frame damage and the others fell into the back windshield smashing it. But my family's safe and are just thrilled that it was only the cars.

Wow...what a long-winded post! Sorry to ramble on...