Easiest-to-chew Dry Cat Food?

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a senior who's experiencing dental problems (he recently fractured one and had to have two others pulled), but doesn't like anything but dry food. He's very finicky and already too thin. I finally got him to eat some wet, but he won't eat enough of it to sustain his weight. He likes to free-feed/snack throughout the day, and I'm gone a lot). His current kibble is, I've noticed, very thick -- almost round -- and rock-hard. I'm considering several different alternatives, including Purina Cat (or even Kitten, for the added calories) Chow and Fancy Feast, both of which look flatter, thinner, and crispy rather than dense. Obviously only a cat could answer, but could anyone comment whether or not these take less tooth force to bite?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food is best for senior cats if you can get him to eat it, but I understand if he doesn't eat enough... I have had some cats that won't eat enough wet food to maintain healthy weight.

You could look for a tiny kibble that he won't have to chew. Royal Canin Baby Cat has extremely small kibble size and is very palatable, which is good if you need him to gain weight. I know it's supposed to be for babies... but I have used it for older cats as well.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as having his teeth pulled I wouldn't worry about continuing to feed him dry if that is what he prefers and is very thin. Most cats don't really chew their dry anyway aside from maybe a single crunch and then they swallow whole. Sounds like he needs to eat, period and dry should fatten him faster then wet would.

However, wet food is healthier overall especially for males, and to avoid kidney failure, diabetes and urinary blockages in the long run.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like yours, our cat doesn't care for wet food, never has. She doesn't chew her kibble at all. She had an x-ray to check her spine and, apparently, had just finished breakfast before we went in. He stomach was full of kibble that looked exactly like it did when I poured it into her bowl.

I think your kit might find the little barrel shaped pieces the easiest to swallow without chewing. They are rounded on the edges. Other kibble is pointed to try to get the kits to chew and this you want to avoid.

Our cat eats Fromm, which only comes in 11 lb bags. One bag lasts her three months. When we open it we divide it into sandwich baggies to keep it fresh. This seems to work. Fromm is a high protein kibble, and though it has carbs it has fewer than many.

If you ever step on a piece of kibble you will notice we aren't talking crisp, we are talking rock like. This is true of the Fromm and the Purina and others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is kitten chow in general a better bet? Smaller, (maybe) softer, and more likely to fatten him up?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
U can try Freshpet. It’s a soft refrigerated kibble. It’s really smelly so might be attractive to a picky cat.

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is kitten chow in general a better bet? Smaller, (maybe) softer, and more likely to fatten him up?
BTW, I know he crunches it somewhat, because I've heard him...and thought, "It sounds like he's chewing rocks!"

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think kitten chow is a good idea. However, since it is 'rich' you might want to mix it with his regular kibble. Of course, he might pick out all the kitten chow and eat it, or the other. I'd give it to him several times to see if he likes it. Some cats require time to makes decisions.

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about a freeze dried food?
Where would I find one? Are there also soft of semi-moist foods that can be left out in a bowl all day? Not that he would eat them. As I say, he seems to enjoy the crunch.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try both kitten kibble and kitten tinned? Also mix up some KMR and either pour on the kibble or just serve in a saucer?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Freeze dried can be left out all day like kibble if you leave it dry. You can get them at most smaller pet stores

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Wysong Archetype freeze dried as a topper for my wet food sometimes. I also have a grazer who only eats a little bit at a time so I got a Sure Pet Sealed Food Bowl that keeps it moist all day long. Sometimes it takes her 12 hours to eat 3 oz. Without the bowl it dries out and she won't eat it no matter how long I leave it down.

Freeze dried crumbles by hand even and can be given wet or dry.

I get it on Chewy.com or Amazon

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smash up dry food with a hammer or a heavy pot / pan into smaller, easier to eat pieces.

Or try freeze dried raw food or air dried raw food. Both can be found at independent pet stores. Some brands are Ziwi Peak, Stella and Chewy's, Vital Essentials, and Feline Natural. Freeze dried raw is typically pretty soft straight out of the bag. Air dried raw is more on the crunchy hard side.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd smash it, too, or if you're really feeling daring put it through a coffee grinder and make it almost powdery. Would he eat dry food if it was soaked or softened in water or broth to make chewing easier on him?
Baby Cat by Royal Canin is the tiniest kibble I've ever seen, it's almost microscopic o_O

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd smash it, too, or if you're really feeling daring put it through a coffee grinder and make it almost powdery. Would he eat dry food if it was soaked or softened in water or broth to make chewing easier on him?
Baby Cat by Royal Canin is the tiniest kibble I've ever seen, it's almost microscopic o_O
He won't eat softened/moistened dry cat food. Problem child!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you smash the dry food does it make a powder or a paste? I'm guessing powder unless you add water or broth. Powder isn't a very pleasant sensation on the tongue.

What I've seen is that cats swallow the dry pieces like they were swallowing pills. This of course is a fantasy because cats don't just swallow pills, but it proves they could if they would.

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, from cat spit-up, that many pieces are swallowed whole, but mine definitely crunch the dry food, too, because the sound ricochets around the room like a bullet was just fired. I have no doubt this is what fractured his molar.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that case smack that food with a hammer. I'd wrap it in a paper towel first to protect your eyes from flying shards.

Now I'm going to worry about our cat's teeth.

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know why they have to make dry food SO hard! Obviously as cats get older, they're teeth become more brittle and prone to breakage (many lose teeth). And this was a formula for senior cats!