Ears Pierced?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No piercings for me. I only have the holes I was born with. Never had the desire but for some reason I had a dream I was piercing my own!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my ears pierced in 1974 when I was 12. Then I had a second set of holes done in about 1982 or so.

I haven't worn earrings in about 5 years, and the last time I did I had to repierce them again to get the posts in, by using ice and working the post back through. So I'm pretty sure that they've grown in again. So I guess I now fall into the "not pierced" category.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few posts back, someone mentioned, correctly, about how bad it is to get pierced, particularly the cartilage, with a gun. The ends of the earrings are blunt and can shatter the cartilage into a painful mass of scarring that often never heals. Hollow needles are the way to go.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

No piercings for me. I only have the holes I was born with. Never had the desire but for some reason I had a dream I was piercing my own!
OMIGOSH that is just one adorable sig!!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

A few posts back, someone mentioned, correctly, about how bad it is to get pierced, particularly the cartilage, with a gun. The ends of the earrings are blunt and can shatter the cartilage into a painful mass of scarring that often never heals. Hollow needles are the way to go.
I have had my ears done twice (first over 2 years ago, second ones 3 weeks ago) no scarring whatsoever, healed up normally. The studs are as sharp as pins to pierce the ears!

I don't know why people keep saying they're blunt!
And i think the word 'shatter' may be a little dramatic

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read my link... Studs are not as efficient as a needle. Needles are hollow and take the skin out leaving room for the piercing during the healing process (sharper than a stud too). The gun/stud is just tearing through your skin it does not remove the excess skin to make room. It causes a traumatic wound to be honest (sure you can heal and recover from it, everyone's immune system is different). Any body piercer will tell you that. Ive got 12 piercings and I will attest to it, and Ive studied up on it a bit (was thinking of being a piercer for awhile)... and yes my cartilage and my 1st lobe piercings where done with a gun (and by someone who is not educated in all the proper fields required to become a professional body piercer).

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 1964 I had each ear pierced once. That was the only time. I have not worn earrings for at least five years.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dragoriana, I am glad your piercings healed up fine done with a gun, some do just fine. The studs are kind of sharp. but nowhere near as sharp as a needle just because they have a painfully pointy little end on them. "Shattered" is the word used by the guy that apprenticed me to be a professional piercer, which I did for several years. Between the layers of skin and cartilage it can pull the layers apart causing keloids, not healing, bleeding between the layers, and in extreme cases, ending up with ears that look like boxers. If you think that word is too dramatic, that is your business, but it happens.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both ears pierced with 4 holes each.. I also pierced my own stretchy thing under my tongue at a party when I was like 13...I don't know what the stretchy thing is called, all I know is it has no nerves so you can pierce with no problems.

It was dumb of me though..I took it out

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 holes in each ear, and use each one
I used to have holes on each ear in the cartilidge, but they eventually got infected so I had to take them out (seems to be a common thing). I had my ears pierced the first time when I was 12, and I wanted them earlier, but my parents made me wait. I loved every minute of it! I was so excited that I didn't feel a thing! I don't think that parents should decide for their children, I think it should be the child's choice. And I definitely don't think that a parent should get a baby's ears pierced, that just seems too painful for their little ears!!

kaskacats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think parents should pierce babies/young children, they should wait until the child asks and is old enough to care for the piercings reasonably well. I think I got my ears pierce when I was four or five, I don't know if I asked for it, though, I don't even remember it being done! I do know that I wasn't responsible enough to take care of them myself and ended up with infections later. What's funny is my sister, who is 11 years older than me, had to wait until she was 16, haha.
Now I have four in my left ear and three in my right. I did have my upper cartilage pierced with a gun, but it was lumpy, so I took it out. I also have my nose pierced.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother didn't get her ears pierced, until she was in her 40s. Since her stroke, six years ago, she quit wearing earrings and the holes have closed up. She won't let me plunder her jewelry armoire, though. Mom says that I have to wait until she dies, to get her jewelry.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, but i am just pointing out that not everyone has bad experiences.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got my ears pierced as a present for my 7th birthday (I asked for it). My twin sister got a Batcave playset and I wish I had gotten that instead!

I'm allergic to most earrings, including surgical steel and hypo-allergenic ones. I think gold earrings would be okay, except I don't like wearing gold jewelry; I look better in silver. I enjoy wearing earrings, but I can only wear earrings for a few hours before they start to bother me. If I let it go, they'll start to burn. Once, in high school, I stupidly ignored the pain and when I finally couldn't take it anymore and took them out the holes were bleeding. They itched for days afterward. They weren't even in for 12 hours.

So anyway, I don't wear earrings much, usually just for special occasions. I really wish I could wear them more often. I also think I'd look really cute with an eyebrow piercing, but it would be an incredible waste of money. For some reason my holes have never closed up. I probably could go without wearing earrings for the next 15 years, and I don't think they'd close up. Why do they close up, anyway?

Tricia

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

I know, but i am just pointing out that not everyone has bad experiences.
This is true... I got my tragus pierced back at the end of February (wanted one on each side, the one I have had for about 4 years I had no issues with), I got it pierced with a needle and I have a serious keloid issue (which can happen with guns and with needles) I go in for my second round of steroid/cortisone injections for it today (those injections hurt because they use an antiseptic needle first and then the injection, which is injected right into my ear at the site of the keloid)... I think mine was caused from sleeping on it before it was healed, causing more trauma. Piercings in general can be a good or bad experience...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Cartilage will have more problems in general because it doesn't have the blood flow which keeps things clean and well-fed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KaskaCats

No, I don't think parents should pierce babies/young children, they should wait until the child asks and is old enough to care for the piercings reasonably well. I think I got my ears pierce when I was four or five, I don't know if I asked for it, though, I don't even remember it being done! I do know that I wasn't responsible enough to take care of them myself and ended up with infections later. What's funny is my sister, who is 11 years older than me, had to wait until she was 16, haha.
Now I have four in my left ear and three in my right. I did have my upper cartilage pierced with a gun, but it was lumpy, so I took it out. I also have my nose pierced.
Yea! Let's hear it for nose-pierced people!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by megagene

I've had both of my ears pierced for about 15 years now. I'm a guy, by the way (not that it matters).
Great! In our traditions, men had both ears pierced. Do you wear something in them, or ?