Early spay/neuter

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, while I don't agree with early spay/neuter, I can say that the study is done by the Winn Feline Foundation. One of the most respected foundations that deals with all aspects of feline health and other issues. I doubt they would "experiment", rather, I think they conducted a very good survey on an issue that many feline owners wonder about.

Again, I don't agree in early spay or neuter, BUT, that's my personal preference... My wife and I don't see eye to eye on this one.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Imagyne

Actually, while I don't agree with early spay/neuter, I can say that the study is done by the Winn Feline Foundation. One of the most respected foundations that deals with all aspects of feline health and other issues. I doubt they would "experiment", rather, I think they conducted a very good survey on an issue that many feline owners wonder about.

Again, I don't agree in early spay or neuter, BUT, that's my personal preference... My wife and I don't see eye to eye on this one.
Thanks Ken, I respect your opinion. I usually make copies of this article for owners of cats who are not planning to become breeders and are concerned about the early age procedure.

Katie

allicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is a cat who is spayed after having a litter of kittens more at risk to develop cancer than a cat who never has kittens? I know this is kind of off-topic, but I've been wondering if it will benefit Alli much besides the fact that she won't be constantly caring for kittens.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spaying and neutering helps cats and dogs live longer, healthier lives.
Spaying eliminates the possibility of uterine or ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the incidence of breast cancer, especially when your pet is spayed before her first heat.
Spaying can prevent various reproductive tract disorders

Not sure if there is a difference with before or after a litter...but I think it is beneficial if you are not planning to be a breeder to have your cat spayed. Especially with the possibility that she could get pregnant again AND:

Spaying a dog or cat eliminates her heat cycle. Estrus lasts an average of six to 12 days, often twice a year in dogs and an average of six to seven days, three or more times a year, in cats. Cats in heat can cry incessantly, and dogs and cats in heat may appear nervous and may attract unwanted males.

Katie

weatherlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So breeding to have cats put down in shelters or die on the streets is wonderful while breeding for useful experimentation is evil? Talk about double standards...

About the leg length: No difference between early spay/neuter and spay/neuter at the usual time. There is a difference between both those times and spay/neuter at full maturity. Longer legs don't seem to have any bad health effects. If you think 7 weeks is too young based on longer bones, you must think 7 months is too young as well. And for the illiterate, let me reiterate: early spay/neuter causes LONGER bones, NOT shorter.

About early spay/neuter: Been done for decades. No ill effects. Healthier for the cat. Face the facts. Get over it.

And the risks of breast cancer goes up after heat, not necessarily pregnancy/birth. It goes up eight times after a cat has been through her first heat.

caspar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weatherlight,
Are you connected in any way with the Winn-Fein Foundation since you reference the website at every opportunity? Are you connected with the veterinary sciences in any capacity?

Referencing the shelter aspect, am I to understand that you have labeled me responsible for needless deaths of kittens in the animal shelter because I chose to breed my female and keep the kittens? If so, that assumption is irresponsible and ludicrous. I realized a long time ago that I could not save all the cats or the dogs, only a few. I won't go into the details of why I don't use nearby animal shelters because I explained that in another "spay/neuter" thread in the Cat Lounge that was started last week. I guesss it is still there. You need to read that because you have judged me unfairly.

weatherlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think anyone who values saving a few hours of looking around or driving to another rescue over saving four lives I am fairly capable of judging fairly.

As for not saving them all, you could have made a universe of difference in four. You yourself are only one; I don't think anyone would get away with murdering you by saying you were "only one person." If only you were held to the same standard that protects you...

caspar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weatherlight, since you choose not to supply a personal profile nor supply your background in the veterinary sciences, other than constantly quote the same Winn-Fein website, I can only conclude that you are a layman in the field who believes in early spay/neuter. That's your privilege. I do not agree with you, but we can only agree to disagree.

I detect an attempt by you to start an argument. This is a very good thread started by Sol, a nice lady from Sweden, and I don't want to see it shut down because you want to push your views, all while throwing insults my way. Your pattern of refusing to identify your background and your attempts to stir up trouble fit the pattern of a troll, and I refuse to feed the troll.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got back this weekend to find some disturbing posts here. While, at the moment, I do not have time to answer adequetly therefore I am closing this thread until I can. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.