Early Morning Scratching

munkymufin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 6-month-old cats that I love, but they've been scratching under my bedroom door around 6 am to provoke an early breakfast. At first I thought this was to play with the fraying carpet, so I put a small rug on the spot and now they scratch on the rug until we get up and feed them.

My fiancee has mostly given in to feeding them at this time. Any recommendations on how to break this habit? I really would like to sleep later than they are allowing right now.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Since these are growing kittens and may well be really hungry by morning, have you tried leaving out kibble for them? I always free feed until their growth slows down.

It assuming they aren’t really hungry then you need to ignore the behavior and not give in even once because it reinforces the behavior.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't advise any better than susanm9006 susanm9006 has already done. At six months, I'd still be free-feeding dry, with three wet meals a day. Kittens that age burn up a LOT of calories, and are bottomless pits. It is almost impossible to over-feed a growing kitten.

If this is boredom, steadfastly ignore it. DO NOT GIVE IN! That is easier said than done, but they don't sleep in your room, so that's a help. I will tell you from sad experience that there is NO WAY to ignore a cat who shoves a paw in your mouth and jerks your cheek until you wake up.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the Kibble at night. I still do this with my adult cats. They mostly prefer wet, and want their wet breakfast but the kibble gets me a bit more time.

One thing i read, and it has helped somewhat with mine, is do not give them food when you first get up. Get up have coffee, something for 20 to 30 min. then feed them breakfast. If they dont as closely associate you getting out of bed with food they are not as insistent that you get up now.

But at that age they will eat a lot, give them the kibble. If you dont want to feed dry i have found that Tiki cat chicken will last quite a long time. I would not have a problem putting Tiki cat chicken out right as i went to bed, so they could munch on it through the night. Some foods get icky quick, the tiki chicken does not.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing i read, and it has helped somewhat with mine, is do not give them food when you first get up. Get up have coffee, something for 20 to 30 min. then feed them breakfast. If they dont as closely associate you getting out of bed with food they are not as insistent that you get up now.
That's kinda genius, and I'm going to file it away for future reference!