Ear wound not healing so well

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody. I'm new here. Literally feeling so helpless tonight. Iv been a kitty mommy for many years and been through so many injuries and sicknesses.

So the patient is Leila. 7 years old. Ex sanctuary kitty. Tested neg for feline leuk/aids etc. She has struggled with small scabs appearing on her ears tips over the years. Quick spray of purple wound spray and it cleared up. Until recently it turned really angry. So off to the Vet. Closer inspection showed a bad gunky infection inside her ears. Vet put her under and cleaned the ears. Wasn't overly concerned about outside of ears. 2 days later and her ears were shaved and cleaned. Following the op she is now deaf and her back left leg has become paralysed.i have done physio with her 4 x a day for the last month plus and she has regained a small amount of movement but nothing huge. Vet told me it was a rare complication from intermuscular injections? Deafness they suspect fluid behind ear drums. Which I will say now 4 weeks later there is still no change and she is still completely deaf. So the inside of her ears are healed up well and vet said he is happy with that. Now its the outside that really concerns me. Her left ear really is not healing as fast as I thought it would. Vet said he was worried about cancer but it doesnt seem to spread or show reason for concern. The very top has started curling over the last 3 days which he said is progress. Vet doesnt believe in using neck cones. Im in two minds on that as Leila is scratching as it's obviously itchy. If i can tell you all it looks like a murder was commited in our passage or bedroom once she starts flicking her head. It bleeds A LOT! I'm really keen on hearing your opinions or experiences in a similar or exact case that you may have been thru with your cats and if there is indeed a rainbow somewhere. My heart is so broken for her. I'll attach a picture for you.
Jen

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd try another vet, sharpish.

Is the wound itself not healing or is she scratching it all the time?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Ears do bleed a lot, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot.  So, try not to be too freaked out by the gory mess.

I'd suspect cancer too, as ear cancer is common, and highly treatable, but it mostly effects white ears.  Cancers also bleed a lot. 

I'd also get her to another vet as soon as possible.

I think a collar is a very good idea even if only worn for 12 hours, as it will give the tissues time to knit together.  If her ear is itchy, she's going to want to scratch, and is in danger of bursting more blood vessel, and causing serious damage.  Try making your own collar out of clothes like boxer shorts or make a paper/cardboard cone secured with tape.

Is your "purple wound spray" gentian violet?  If it is, then spray her ear until completely purple.  It's a miracle-worker.  

She might have had a stroke, which would account for the paralysis in her back leg. 

Wishing Leila a quick recovery  
  Keep us updated. 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering about Leila too.  

For what it's worth, I agree with PegLeg:  New vet pronto.

Hope she begins to feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for your replies.

Little Leila is feeling slightly under the weather. Shes spent her day sleeping in her dads cupboard. I have taken her out for eating some cooked chicken but that was it. Right back to sleeps.She is sneezing like crazy and i suspect she has flu symptoms. Considering her system has had quite a shock it , i can understand it plus i have three others sneezing too. Not too worried about them as they are young and tough.

Brian007 you know saying that about her having a stroke seriously makes sense!! My poor lamb. Ill check just now on the gentian violet. I haven't used it on her for a while. Since shes been for op. Might be good idea to start again!

Im going to make a homemade tube for her neck. She doesn't scratch alot as its her paralysed leg she has to utilise. So more of a quick bash ( when mommy isnt looking )

I can get our Leila to a new vet on the 27th only. Our finances are dire following her initial op plus still recovering from our other kitty Rubys' bladder stone removal surgery 2 months ago.
Vet asked to see Leila for check up tomorrow again. I might take hubby with and lay down the law how im seriously unimpressed.

Tx Pegleg & LavishSqualor. :thanks:

All in all. Its most probably the best to have her ears removed with the affected tissue im guessing? For her best chance of beating this if its cancer. Of course stressed about her going under anaesthetic again too [emoji]129301[/emoji]

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, how truly awful for you all!  Definitely take hubby with you as your bodyguard.  Hmmm, positions of authority are so easily abused at the expense of those with less knowledge.  Poor Leila.  It's cruel of your vets not to allow you some sort of finance plan, which you could pay off later in instalments.  Or to waive fees altogether, seeing as her follow-up care should be included in the cost of her initial operation if it hasn't been 100% successful, which it clearly hasn't.  Stamp that foot!  

Yes, her ear looks like it might have to be trimmed whatever the diagnosis.  But by the time it's fully healed, you'll be so relieved that you'll probably hardly notice.  

I hope Ruby and the rest of gang feel better soon too.  

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my soul! My original msg just disappeared. Here i go again [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Thanks for your reply Brian007. Ill take vet on tomorrow. Our Leila deserves the best and this mommy is fed up now. Vet follow ups arent charged for but i do agree that a payment plan could really help. I was quoted R4500 which is $345 converted to remove her ears. So will see what they say tomorrow with hubby present. Will keep u posted. Thanks everybody. [emoji]128513[/emoji]

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Evening everybody. Quick update. Saw a different vet at the practice yesterday. He treated Leila for her flu and gave her cortisone. What a different cat today. Been talking and purring for the first time in 7 weeks. He agreed that her ear tip is looking very angry and we will speak to the head vet on Monday as to a payment plan for her op to remove her ears. Hold thumbs for us please. Have a lovely weekend.

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tx for your purraise Brian007 [emoji]128513[/emoji]. So i take our Leila in at 5pm. They operate tomorrow morning on her ears. Holding my thumbs, toes and anything else that she handles the anesthetic well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll pray too, that sweet little girl needs to get on the road to healing, and so do you! Plaese keep us posted on how she does. 

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll pray too, that sweet little girl needs to get on the road to healing, and so do you! Plaese keep us posted on how she does. 
Thanks so much. You are so sweet. Time to get better and skip about for her.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck! :cross: Please keep us updated. I'm hoping this is the last time she has to go in to the vet's for a while, poor little girl.

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dropped my little lamb off at vet. Cried like an idiot [emoji]128514[/emoji]. Vet said shes a special attention case so he will look after her like gold. Ill get a call tomorrow once surgery is over. Thanks everybody. Your support is amazing! :thanks:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so great to hear you sounding so positive.  I'm sure that your optimism will rub off on Leila, and that her ear will heal quicker because of it.  I'm thinking of little Leila right now, and am sure that many others are also.  The power of positive thinking can move mountains  

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome home, Leila!    

She looks reasonably comfortable in herself, considering how big an ordeal having her ears snipped must have been.  And, she doesn't look too bad from an aesthetic point of view either, not that that would concern her terribly much but it's nicer for you.

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tx so much. Yes shes quite happy. Shes wobbly on her back leg that functions normally. So its a high speed side winder down passage. She knew i was laughing at her im sure. I know in a day she will b feeling less goofy and we shall have a stroll in the garden. All my other cats hate her since she's been unwell. Little hobos. Luckily she has mom and dad.

jenj23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little Leila is making wonderful progress. Her stitches came out today. Vet very happy with her ears, as am i. Only little problem now ia she is chewing on her toes on her numb leg. We arent too sure if its a bad habit shes developed or if shes getting pins and needles from nerves possibly repairing. So her foot is wrapped up now. Follow up Thursday again. Her hearing is still gone but im almost 100% certain it wont return. So we have adjusted and im starting to teach her a couple things with hand gestures.