Ear Polyps

smallzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone :)

I'm new to the site obviously but I wanted to share some of my own experiences with my cat, AJ.  I would like to start by saying that I am not a vet.  Librariangretch, my cat, AJ,  has the same looking "dirty" ear polyps in his ear that Simba seems to have from the picture you provided.  I can tell you that after 12 years (same vet clinic), a new vet came on to the scene and was bothered by the diagnosis (grain allergy) the other vet had been sure was the cause of the polyps.  I myself questioned this many times as since the initial diagnosis (around age 2), AJ has been on a grain free cat food with no symptom relief.  I should also mention his symptoms are more then just the ear polyps.  He's never had solid stool in his entire life, and until I switched all the kids to the Kirkland (Costco) brand of grain free cat food, he threw up regularly.  When he was younger, we also had to have 12 of his 30 (I believe) teeth removed.  After reading over his chart from start to finish and discussing things with me she asked if she could do a little research after seeing him.  She called me the next day and we scheduled an appointment.  She wanted to see AJ's ears one more time.  I brought him in and she took a look and pulled out and old veterinary med text book and opened it up to a page showing a cat with identical polyps that were dirty looking.  She diagnosed AJ with obstructive ear disease.  I've looked this term up online and found very little regarding the subject.  She actually brought some of her students in to see it as she says it's very rare, and she's never herself seen it.  His ears have been bothering him more and more as he's aged.  The original trip that brought me to her attention was for an ear infection (very smelly) that she diagnosed as Pseudomonas caused by his scratching at the polyps.  We discussed the matter further and decided to try having them laser removed.  She was not optimistic that the polyps would be resolved for good but we felt it was worth it to alleviate his discomfort for a time.  They have since grown back, not as large (yet).  He's still suffering from chronic ear infections due to his scratching which require oral meds/ear drops and an antibiotic shot about every 3-6 months.   He's also been started on steroids to help relieve him of the itching caused by the inflammation.  It does seem to help, even if only a little.  I don't believe in declawing so for his next appointment, we are going to try nail caps on his rear paws to try to prevent his tearing the polyp open thereby causing the infections.  As I stated above, I am not a vet, but when I saw that picture of Simba, I wanted to share my experiences with you.  I'm sorry I don't have better news to deliver to you, but I hope my experiences help in some way.  

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my little Whisper back to the vet this morning because I was suspecting that more than polyps were causing her to hide and not eat.  So they found a squamous cell cancer growing above her pallet and it's pushing that pallet down on one side.  No wonder she couldn't eat.  It's also eating away a bone in her ear so I have pain meds for her for now, but sadly, I'll have to let her go soon.  These cancers can be so aggressive and the vet said she looked behind the pallet this morning, and all the tissue was ravaged and raw.  I think mouth cancers are one of the cruelest things because your cat can't eat or drink, yet they want to.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry at the news. What a sad diagnosis for Whisper. Enjoy the time you have left with her and try to keep her free of pain. Hugs to you both.

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, Dreamer Rose.  I had a good cry today.  I will enjoy every minute I have left with her.  She's the best. Thank you so much for your sentiment.

avykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a very large polyp in his ear over a year ago. I went to a vet and he estimated well over $1,200 to get it removed. So I went down to Helping Hands in Richmond Virginia and they charged me $400 to have it removed. The Vets are just thieves that try to charge you more than they need to. Unfortunately since the polyp has been removed as we've all been told numerous others have grown back in both ears and now under his chin. They are not as large as the first one but he is deaf now because of the blockage. He doesn't seem to be in pain but I could tell that he is constantly aware of them by the way he shakes his head and what not. I just clean his ears everyday the discharge and and I'm looking for a vet that is more reasonable. The original Place Helping Hands in Richmond Virginia does not scrape the ear canal as he needs done at this point

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Avykitty.  The polyp grew under his chin?  You mean it grew outside his ear and then outside his face?

avykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Diane. The best I can figure is when he was a kitten they were freckles in his ear and on his chin I thought it was cute he's a Redcat. But now he is 13 and those freckles have turned into big polyps. The poyps did not grow out of his ears on to his chin and it was always separate areas.

dianee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I see.  I understand now.  I never heard of that happening before.  Thanks for explaining.