Ear ointment still not gone after 3 days!

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had her ears clean while under anesthesia for a tooth extraction. Her ears have always been bad she had wax filling her ears to the eardrum it was so bad the vet flushed her ears out then applied entederm ear ointment. Usually this shouldn't be an issue, but after having a tooth removed it hurts my cat if she shakes her head trying to expel the liquid, on top of that one side she can't even scratch her ear due to past leg injury, and after 3 days I still see ointment and liquid coming out of both ears! I'm upset because every vet does this and my cat is miserable after and wobbly, I feel she had poor drainage and anything put in just sits in the ear canal. Whether I leave the wax in or get her ears cleaned both seem to cause her problems. Cleaning her ears out by scooping the wax is fine, or rubbing a very thin layer of ointment just to gently help, but no vet listens to me and just fill her ear with whatever and how much stuff they want and tell me after without asking me first. If this stuff stays in for days can't that just give her an ear infection? She was so bad before she couldn't hear a vacuum cleaner and all she had done was an ear cleaning previously!

What she needs is to have excess vacuumed out, I've heard of dogs sedated having it, cleans the ears out without any liquid having to be put in and they leave with dry, clean ears., no vets do this here I'm at a loss???

She's still not feeling well from the surgery clearly she is no shape to go to a vet anytime soon, and no vet seems concerned for her.

Last edited:

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you use a cotton ball or a tissue to gently clean the excess liquid out of her ears? That might help. Don't push anything too far in her ear, just wipe the part you can see.

Next time she goes to the vet, maybe tell them in advance Not to do anything to her ears. You might have to keep repeating it, but the vets should not do this if they know you don't want it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried with a balled up tissue but she isn't having it hates me touching her ears!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It takes about a week or more for it to be fully absorbed into the body.  Don't mess with it.