Ear Mucus?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for delay. Toby had his check up and his ear looks TERRIFIC! It had a little wax ball in it but Dr isn't worried about that. its possible that a wax ball was the reason for the infection starting in the first place. (no she wasn't able to remove it - too far down) He's coming off all meds now and will continue the Baytril Ear drops 2xs a week and occassional ear flush till our 6 week check up. So glad its not a tumor that she was telling me it probably was in the beginning.

I have a question though. Is it at all possible that this new cat litter I'm using could have caused the infection? Its pretty dusty and corn based (even though its not supposed to be - marketing it at 99% free - right). My other cat is now having what I think it a big herpes outbreak with lots of congestion and sneezing. :(   

I'm thinking of trying the paper litter pellets. Anyone like it?

Thanks!

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great news. It could of been partially the litters fault, but that's with any litter. They get going throwing it around and some goes flying into the ear and gets encoated with wax and then BAM.. a bacteria all you can eat ball at the ready.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If one cat has cat flu chances are they all will get it. Keep infected cats isolated to reduce the risk of spreading and to allow them to heal.

There is a special ear cleaner that might work for the wax. Never stick qtips or other objects in the ears! You can use a kleenex or cotton ball to clean the outer ear and flap though.

May I ask what brand this litter is? I personally don't use corn based litter since my cats try to eat it (gross).