Ear Mites

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
How does an indoor cat get earmites if he doesn't go outside??And no other animals in the home.???

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was your cat actually confirmed to have ear mites? I don't believe indoor cats get ear mites unless they’ve been exposed to another animal with them. And, just because your cat might have itchy, inflamed ears it doesn’t necessarily mean it is ear mites. Allergies are very common cause of the same symptoms.

So, are you sure about the ear mites?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Was your cat actually confirmed to have ear mites? I don't believe indoor cats get ear mites unless they’ve been exposed to another animal with them. And, just because your cat might have itchy, inflamed ears it doesn’t necessarily mean it is ear mites. Allergies are very common cause of the same symptoms.

So, are you sure about the ear mites?
NdigestionNo it was confirmed but I was brushing him one day n saw black specks around his ears on his fur.Nfur.Neck n around ears.Aears.And when i would try n pick it off him it would move in fur.So the also seen around ears .Called vet they said it sounds like earmites or fleas.Put Revolution on him n it left.They aint been back.But he still scratches around his ears n neck.And gunk in his ears.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Typically ear mites are only visible underneath a microscope. So, since you could see something moving, perhaps it was fleas - especially since you no longer see them after treating your cat with Revolution.

But, his ears probably need to be cleaned out and looked at by a vet, just to determine if you have/had more than one issue going on.

Scratching and ear discharges, like you are describing, can be the result of food/environmental allergies. Or, they can be due to wax buildup, tumors, polyps, drug reactions, a hereditary condition, or immune system issues.

I would get the vet to take a look.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Typically ear mites are only visible underneath a microscope. So, since you could see something moving, perhaps it was fleas - especially since you no longer see them after treating your cat with Revolution.

But, his ears probably need to be cleaned out and looked at by a vet, just to determine if you have/had more than one issue going on.

Scratching and ear discharges, like you are describing, can be the result of food/environmental allergies. Or, they can be due to wax buildup, tumors, polyps, drug reactions, a hereditary condition, or immune system issues.

I would get the vet to take a look.
Oh i definitely am going to get him to do a more thorough exam on his ears n eye.Cause he had conjunctivitis at one point.And amoxi/clav n terramycin has cleared that up.But still want the vet to do more thorough exam on his ears n his eye.It may all b related

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe chewing lice? Revolution also works for them. Has anyone ever had a case of chewing lice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, try this article. Read past the first few paragraphs to get to that part.

Lice in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Heck, here is that part:

Lice cannot be transferred from a person or another species to cats, but there are several situations that can lead to the transmission of this uncomfortable condition from one cat to another.
Living in unsanitary conditions
Inability to groom for any reason
Contact with another cat suffering from lice
Contact with the belongings of another cat with lice

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Litter change could be involved - allergy related perhaps. But, rule out other things with a vet visit first. A litter allergy probably isn't going to involve just dirty ears. I think you have more than one thing going on, tbh.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter change could be involved - allergy related perhaps. But, rule out other things with a vet visit first. A litter allergy probably isn't going to involve just dirty ears. I think you have more than one thing going on, tbh.
Yes indeed

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We discovered black areas in Gypsys ears. We have a vet appt this afternoon. No nasty smell, no scratching and she hasn't been around any other animals other than her fur dad & me. We take her outside in harness. Anyone else experience anything like this? We use Revolution plus.