Ear Mites?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It would be best if you could take him to the vet to get his ears checked out. Mites are microscopic, so the vet will need to examine him to see if it is mites, or something else that is irritating the ear. If the vet does find mites, they'll prescribe an anti-mite medication. There could be other causes of ear irritation, like an infection. I would recommend avoiding cleaning his ears with olive oil, as this isn't as effective as a ear cleaning solution specifically formulated for cats.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This does sound like it could be ear mites. It really does call for a vet visit. He also needs to be checked to make sure there is also not an ear infection. One of my cats had an ear infection with her ear mites as a kitten. She never acted like she was in any pain from the ear infection at all. I took her to the vet because she was sneezing like crazy and scratching her ears. She also had a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) along with the ear mites and ear infection. I had to use an ear wash from the vet for the ear mites. She also had to have her ears cleaned out by the vet quite a few times before the ear mites went away. The faster he is treated for ear mites the easier it is to get rid of them. My kitten still acted still acted like her normal playful and hungry self while she was sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbysabz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be best if you could take him to the vet to get his ears checked out. Mites are microscopic, so the vet will need to examine him to see if it is mites, or something else that is irritating the ear. If the vet does find mites, they'll prescribe an anti-mite medication. There could be other causes of ear irritation, like an infection. I would recommend avoiding cleaning his ears with olive oil, as this isn't as effective as a ear cleaning solution specifically formulated for cats.
Thank you! I will definitely go to a vet to get it checked out

amazingdrummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine has earmite too. The Vet gave her spot-on flea drop, and told me to clean her ears (by Epiotic), apply ear drop twice a day.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are the cleanest ears I’ve seen in a long time! You did a great job cleaning them. But I agree with the other posters that someone needs to take a look at the discharge under the microscope to determine whether it’s ear mites, yeast or something else in there, as that will determine the best treatment.

Good luck and do let us know what it is.