Ear Mites

vneidell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two months ago, I took my kitten to the vet cuz she was itching her ears. He said she had ear mites and gave me drops. I had to use them on both her and my other cat twice a week for a month. Picture me twice a week wearing oven mits straddling my cats on the kitchen floor trying to get the drops in.

So, I noticed that my kitten is itching her ears again as is my other cat. I can't go through the drops again. Is there anything else that works?

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since one of my cats is particularly hard to control even at a vet I've had the vets do the application for ear mite treatment. Sounds like these mites came back.

If neither cat has had problems with flea treatments you can try to get them on Revolution which prevents ear mites. Also some kitties just have wax in the ear that bothers them. However since you had a bout of mites recently its best to get them both treated for the mites.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vneidell

Two months ago, I took my kitten to the vet cuz she was itching her ears. He said she had ear mites and gave me drops. I had to use them on both her and my other cat twice a week for a month. Picture me twice a week wearing oven mits straddling my cats on the kitchen floor trying to get the drops in.

So, I noticed that my kitten is itching her ears again as is my other cat. I can't go through the drops again. Is there anything else that works?
Wow, drops twice a week for a month? That is weird...
Anyways, You can use Revolution to treat - it is a Flea medicine - you just apply it regularly, like any other flea medicine, and it will take care of it, keep applying it monthly; however, you need to have the ears cleaned before treating any case of ear mites. All the gunk need to come out first.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vneidell

at this point a vet check would be a good idea ... maybe have them do a smear of the gunk to ensure it is just mites.. and discuss the drop issue..

IMHO I would not touch something like revolution normally but definately not till you know exactly what is going on