Ear mites or just dirty ears?

Fuzzyyyyyyyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my cats have had slightly itchy ears for a while. I’m not sure when it started. I looked into them and they look dirty (pictured below: 1st pic is 1st cat, 2nd is 2nd cat)) and after further research, found out that they might be ear mites.
Should I make a vet appointment for this? I know their ears are in dire need of a cleaning, but I’m not sure how to.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fuzzyyyyyyyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realized I attached 4 photos—I’m not sure how to edit it lol

SwissMiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had 2 cats that had ear mites. Ear mites kind of look like coffee grounds - they are more solid that just dirt though the pieces are small. I would recommend taking your cats to the vet so they can look at the stuff that's in your cats' ears. I can't tell by your picture. But especially since your cats' ears are itchy. If they have mites you squeeze a few drops of the medicine in their ears and then if memory serves me correctly you wipe the ears with a cotton ball. One of my cats was a 2 person job to apply the medicine - the other I was able to do on my own.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree that you should take them to the vet to check to see if they are ear mites. The other reason for going to the vet is to have them show you how to clean their ears - and, if meds are needed, they will also be able to show you how to properly administer them.

Editing your posts can be done after you have been a member for 5 days and have 20 posts. At that time, you will be able to edit your posts for up to 2 hours. Here is a link to explain a little bit about the progression of your membership.
Promotions and Benefits | TheCatSite