Ear infection in cat

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat was diagnosed with mild bacteria ear infection two weeks ago. We are given ear drop for her. Fast forward two days ago, she went back for a review and doc mentioned that there's very few bacteria left in the ear and that sometimes it's hard for the bacteria to be gone completely. They cleaned her ear for her as it's still quite dirty. There's like skin cell with brownish colour things sticking onto her ear. And now we just need to clean her ear at least once a week to prevent ear wax.

Today, I noticed that she have been shaking her head alot and scratching her chin. I cleaned her ear for her again and there's lots of skin cell looking things sticking onto her ear. It's like flaky skin (?).

Anyone ever experience this before after ear infection clearing up?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it possible for you to attach a picture of what you are seeing? I have not heard of anyone mentioning anything like this, and never had a cat with an ear infection, but with a picture it might be easier for anyone reading this to see if they recognize what might be happening.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have a cat with chronic ear infections. I finally asked the vet to clean her ears under sedation and to culture what they found. Turns out she had a yeast infection. They treated it with BNT gel and it finally cleared up. Her excessive ear wax was caused by inflammation in her ear canal, so we started giving her a daily antihistamine and that took care of the problem.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine had minor ear irritation forever.
I used to give her Zyrtec as my vet suggested. No infection, just allergies and slight inflammation from it.
Zyrtec helped a lot. But then my daughter showed me this item that has really helped and replaced the Zyrtec. She hates it, so I only give it every other day. Approximately 0.8ml every other day.
It's meant to help allergies and it's done a great job! She rarely scratches her ear (she used to dig and make these grunting noises) & sneeze a lot too. Rarely ever sneezes or has hairball either anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for you to attach a picture of what you are seeing? I have not heard of anyone mentioning anything like this, and never had a cat with an ear infection, but with a picture it might be easier for anyone reading this to see if they recognize what might be happening.
I've attached an image of it. If you zoom in on the image, you'll be able to see the "skin cell" kinda of flakes. There's lots of it yesterday when I cleaned her ears.

Attachments

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a similar problem with Mia . We gave her ear drops almost 3months and cleaned her ears 2 times/day with some special solutions . Everything was fine, no more infection was founded but she still shake her head when we touch near the ears . We need to go back to the vet to see if it s still infection or maybe her body is producing more wax than usual.
we had some problems with ear treatment, that make her feel bad i guess. She was looking si bad, no more cleaning herself, no more playing , just sleeping eating and going to the litterbox.I said to the vet that she s not feeling well with the treatment and after 2 months we changed her eardrops and she started to be herself again.
scrathing and head shaking means it s inconfortable

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think what you're cleaning out with the qtips is general ear wax. The vet should look in her ear with a scope to check for redness and infection, or do a culture of the wax to see what you're dealing with (bacterial or fungal). All cats get ear wax. I had one cat whose was wouldn't drain and it would create a small pebble like ball in her ear canal because it didn't drain out due to inflammation. We started her on antihistamines and that helped.