ear clipping....

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think thats what its called.

I need to know if its possible for the gap to grow back... My clinic either clips the ear straight or in a "V".

I have a cat that would never get near me and so i used binoculars to check his ear (like 5 times).... I did try to catch him a few weeks ago when I thought he was ill.. and he wouldnt go in.

I dont know what you guys have experienced... but for me ALL unneutered cats would go right into the trap... and those that were would stay clear.

SO.... when he refused to go in that gave me another indication he was fixed (based on my experience)

Well... yesterday i was looking at his ear (havent done so in months) and the ear that would be clipped looks like a "W". Which could be a bite... or a deformation.... I wonder what you guys think....

THANKS!!!!

PS this morning i went back to trapping after 2 years when i UNFORTUNATELY realized there were more cats across the street.... I got a male cat that I saw ONE time 2 years ago and havent seen him since... until today... in my trap.

He definitely has been thru alot. In fact I thought for sure he was long dead based on his looks 2 years ago!!!!! So such a GREAT feeling!!! And I know he'll have a better life now as well!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW - that is AMAZING! Congrats on trapping that boy!

As to the ear tipping question. That sounds like damage from a fight. I've never heard of an ear tip like that, but I guess you never know. It is possible the cat might has experienced a trap before, but not been trapped.
He may also be wary because he smells other cats (and fear) on the trap - and it's not outweighing his desire to eat. We wash the trap frequently with a light bleach solution and spray it with Feliway. We've got two ferals now that will go eat in the trap, because they know they're going to be released.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks...

He's actually the mean one Ive written about. The others are certainly VERY wary of him whenever he comes around...

SO... i guess since i have 2 traps. Ill try for him again.

Man, that would stink if all this time he wasnt neutered...

Im kicking myself I didnt take pictures of trapped cats!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look on the bright side I have taken in an already neutered male and an already spayed female. 1 to each of the clinics I used/use. now that makes for a good laugh. The places I used both go straight across for the ear tipping. one did right ear one did left.
Better late then never

ipw533

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We do it at The Cube in post-surgical recovery. The left eartip is our standard, although some rescue groups prefer the right. The eartip is clamped with a straight hemostat just below where the cut is to be made, surgical scissors are used to make a straight-across cut (we prefer to take just enough off for it to be noticeable), and then an electric wand is used to cauterize the cut. The hemostat is then removed, and the most the cat appears to feel when it wakes up is a minor irritation.

Most rescues have dispensed with the V-notch, as it is indistinguishable from a fight wound; the straight cut can be seen by the trapper and the cat can be released without any further trauma.

One clinic our group was invited to used the cautery wand to burn a V-notch into the cat's ear--we refused to participate in that, and the practice may have been discontinued....