ear cleaned now deaf...

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Safron,
When this happened to my kitty, the vet did not charge for visits or meds either. I don't know if that was "admitting" that they were at fault or just trying to maintain good relations. . .I am not sure how vets make this decision to charge or not, but I've been charged for everything else at every other vet I have gone to.

cryogenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about yoru cat.

Over the holidays, I was visiting a shelter and one of the helpers was cleaning earmites out of a cat's ears. She was DIGGING deep and really bearing down on the cat's head as she jammed and twisted better than HALF the Q-Tip into the ear. It really upset me because she backed the cat into a corner so it couldn't move.
I wanted to smack her for torturing the cat like that. I then went back to my vet and he said that, normally, you don't insert any more than 3/4" into the ear. BUT...he also went on to say that it's VERY difficult to rupture a cat's eardrum, because it's NOT directly accessible like ours is.

I'd definitely get another opinion about your cat's ears. I agree with what someone else said here. The ears SHOULD move at the slightest sound. If the ears are NOT moving at all, there's a problem.

Good luck.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing - I was always under the impression that if an ear drum got ruptured there would be a balance problem - I can't remeber that being mentioned.

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
csocia, how is Bailey doing? Did you ever take her for a 2nd opinon? Has she regained her hearing?