E-tube sutures

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, after five and half weeks my cat's stoma scabbed over and the suture fell out along with it. The vet said it was normal to replace the suture after about this amount of time. She redid it, but now after four days it is out again! She charged 90 bucks. Do you think she should redo it for free? The tube was never pulled on. Anything we can do to stop this from happening again? She wears a kitty kollar. Is there a better thing to use?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using a pad around the stoma? I found the easiest was to take a makeup round, fold it in half and make a diamond cut. Unfold it and slide it on over the tube against the stoma site. Then put the kitty kollar on over that. Change it out every day or every couple of days and clean away any crusty scabby stuff forming. The stoma is essentially an open wound that needs to be cleaned regularly. It shouldn't scab over. That may be what's pulling on the sutures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you using a pad around the stoma? I found the easiest was to take a makeup round, fold it in half and make a diamond cut. Unfold it and slide it on over the tube against the stoma site. Then put the kitty kollar on over that. Change it out every day or every couple of days and clean away any crusty scabby stuff forming. The stoma is essentially an open wound that needs to be cleaned regularly. It shouldn't scab over. That may be what's pulling on the sutures.
Thanks. I did have a pad under there, but my boyfriend took it out because it wasn't bleeding or anything anymore and he thought it was unnecessary. But you're saying it helps protect the suture too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennifer1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, did your cat just have a single suture? Or was it attached in a couple different places? I asked for more than one suture and she said she couldn't do it but I didn't understand the reason. I dont like there's just one string holding it on.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, did your cat just have a single suture? Or was it attached in a couple different places? I asked for more than one suture and she said she couldn't do it but I didn't understand the reason. I dont like there's just one string holding it on.
I don’t honestly remember. But I think it was maybe two sutures in a crisscross. I don’t know. I was a little squeamish about that. I cleaned every other day. My biggest problem was that the tube was too short to lay flat in the Kollar. She looked like an inflatable kitty with a tube sticking straight out. It was actually when the tube was able to lie flat that I knew I had to check with the vet about the suture. She redid it once. On the second time I took her in, Krista got feisty and left the vet with the tube in her hand and no longer in the cat. 🤦🏼‍♂️😼 At that point, I was only using the tube for meds and insurance (better to have it in too long than take it out too soon.) Krista said she was done and we honored that.😹
88D5746C-B668-4672-92D2-43A0C7371D39.jpeg