E collar Post Neuter

AK3025

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is losing his marbles being in the e collar post his neuter surgery, and the vet told us 14 days. Does this seem excessive?? I’m not sure how we will survive…

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly I only used the cone the first couple days with my two boys. A neuter is a lot easier the a spay and most male cats do pretty good without a cone. I honestly found that the cone caused the boys more stress than needed and to move around more then they should be after surgery. My vet even told me it really wasn’t necessary. I did try my best to watch them though and stop them if they tried to lick it. Hope the little man’s doing good after his neuter! Give him extra cuddles from me 😍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AK3025

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I only used the cone the first couple days with my two boys. A neuter is a lot easier the a spay and most male cats do pretty good without a cone. I honestly found that the cone caused the boys more stress than needed and to move around more then they should be after surgery. My vet even told me it really wasn’t necessary. I did try my best to watch them though and stop them if they tried to lick it. Hope the little man’s doing good after his neuter! Give him extra cuddles from me 😍
We appreciate the extra cuddles! I wish we even made it a few hours, but so far no luck. I tried two different ones, and he goes nuts until it’s off. That is the opposite of keeping him calm! So we are a major failure, and I guess I’ll just have to hope he doesn’t cause damage to the incision.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My kitten is losing his marbles being in the e collar post his neuter surgery, and the vet told us 14 days. Does this seem excessive?? I’m not sure how we will survive…
My boy kicked off the collar as soon as he steps into the house. Some cats don't mind the collar and some hates it. It's ok not to have the collar on but you have to keep watch so that he does not excessively lick the surgery area.

Here's an article for you to read ;- Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery - TheCatSite and a thread I replied to :- Is it infected??
'The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never used a collar after a spay or neuter and my kitties have been fine.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems a bit excessive,lol

I've never used e-collars post surgery- not for nueters or spaying

You've gotten good advice here about what to look for and I'm sure he'll be fine.... keep his attention on others things

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, My 7 old was thrashing with the neck cone. I am a sewer, and made a neck collar, out of very stiff interfacing. I doubled it for strength. I will try to attach pic. It worked well for me. Good luck.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't realize this was October,lol

Last edited: