E-collar and litterbox ?

elliot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I got Arya spayed and we picked her up eight hours ago. She came home with an e-collar. When she came home, she slept on my pillow for a bit, went to the litterbox(w/ ecollar) and then I took off her e-collar so she could eat. The first time she went to the litterbox, she had no problems other than slight wobbliness.

However that was about six hours ago and she keeps going back to her litter box over and over but seems to get frustrated and then just leaves. I took off her e-collar when I saw her struggling and she ignored her litterbox. When I put it back on, she stayed in there just kept digging and looking like shes about to use it but then gave up and dug some more.

I'm not sure what's going on. She was fine the first time, but I don't know what's the problem now. I don't know how to help her either, because I've taken the e-collar off and for about an hour or so too. She just looks so miserable!

Last edited:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the litter box you are using covered?  If it is then I would take the cover off while she is wearing a the e-collar.  I have covered litter boxes. Anytime one of cats had to wear an e-collar I made sure one of the litter boxes was uncovered so that the cat does not get scared of being stuck. One of my friends years ago had a cat with an e-collar get stuck in a covered litter box.  She let the cat out of the carrier and the cat went to use the litter box before she had a chance to take the lid off.  She was planning to take the lid off but the cat beat her to the litter box.  Her cat exhibited the same behavior for about a day.  She took the lid off a 2nd litter box and everything returned to normal.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, it isn't covered but the sides are kind of high because she does kick litter out of her litterbox. Maybe that's the problem? I'll see if I can get a shallower box for her temporarily. Thank you though!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it isn't covered but the sides are kind of high because she does kick litter out of her litterbox. Maybe that's the problem? I'll see if I can get a shallower box for her temporarily. Thank you though!
I hope the shallower litter box helps.