E-collar alternatives for males?

emdrawscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, first time posting here.

it’s been years since I’ve owned (or rather, been owned) by a cat. In October, my brother happened to find two teeny male kittens directly in the middle of a busy road.. cars were swerving to miss them. Needless to say, both of them ended up at my mom’s house (they couldn’t come live with me as my dog would’t allow it), and we have since named them Greyson and Mo. We have no reason to believe they aren’t siblings, and they are strictly indoor kitties. I’d say they are currently about 4 months old.

Grey and Mo were just neutered yesterday morning, and the vet tech informed mom and I when we went to pick them up that their cones would need to remain on for 13 days. Our first night with the cones has been hellish. Mo is doing everything in his power to pull the thing off (he partially succeeded once this evening). In addition, my mom is letting the cats’ stress over the cones stress HER out, and I can’t help but feel it is turning out to be a bigger deal than it really needs to be.

Would anyone here happen to know of any viable e-collar alternatives for cats?

I’ve seen it mentioned by a not insignificant amount of people online that male cats generally don’t need collars for a routine neuter, but I can’t help but feel like going against the vet’s advice is asking for trouble. With that said, 13 days seems like such an awfully long time for the cones to stay on (especially with our cats being so dead set on pulling them off). Has anyone here had any success in using baby onesies or body socks for male cats? I’ve researched this for the past 2 or so hours, and anything I’ve been able to come across in regards to post-surgery clothing seems to be tailored for female cats. We’d need the back end of a onesie or body suit open so the kitties can do their business unhindered, but them having access to their uncovered backside defeats the purpose of the onesie in the first place.

Thank you in advance!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem with the sock, bodysuit or onsie for boys is that unless you take it off for them to use the litter box, it won't cover the area they need.

While I am fully for following vet instructions, I usually keep off the e-collars when the cat in question is supervised. Since the collar is to prevent them messing with the wound, I feel that if I am watching them and they aren't messing with the wound we are good. I will put e-collars on if they mess with the wound or I can't watch them, but it gives them time without it. Stress can be just as detrimental as them messing with the wound on their healing.

There are also inflatable collars, https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...Y9zJ0rlEjWevcra90TcaAo4TEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds, that are a little less obtrusive and can be less stressful.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really never had problems with cats spoiling their incisions. That's perhaps a dozen of 'em over the years. Just watch them a little more closely is all I had to do and try to keep them from jumping all over.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All the ferals I have TNRed never had e collars and no one ever had an incision issue. Neither have any of my indoor only cats over the years. If you or someone in the family can watch them to make sure that they do not bother the incision they should be fine.

I refuse e collars for my GSD as they drive him insane. If you really need the collars, check the inflatable ones or the stuffed cloth ones.