E-collar After Surgery

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat bueno has had an emergency c-section and spaying in one over a week ago (9 days) and has had the cone on since. The vets appointment yesterday (monday) showed shes doing very well and healing and we were told to take it off 2 days later (wednesday). Its now tuesday and i just feel so sorry for her as shes really wanting it off, so does anyone know or has experience with this? I want to know if i can take it off today and whether a day will really make a difference?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would probably wait one day since that is all that is left. Personally, I have refused E collars for animals who detested them and have removed them early, but I was sure of the condition of the incision or wound and also sure what the animal would do. If your cat were on day one and hysterical about the collar that might be a different story but it sounds like she has made it this far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would probably wait one day since that is all that is left. Personally, I have refused E collars for animals who detested them and have removed them early, but I was sure of the condition of the incision or wound and also sure what the animal would do. If your cat were on day one and hysterical about the collar that might be a different story but it sounds like she has made it this far.
That totally makes sense. I mean it is one more day, especially since she would have it off for the whole night too id rather make sure she doesnt do anything stupid! My other cat never needed the collar as she wasnt even licking or grooming, but shes very eager to groom as shes a long hair. Thanks so much for your reply

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would have said go ahead and take it off!! Goes to show you, you have to go with your own gut! Either way, give us a pic of your Bueno when you get a chance!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that needed to wear one for 3 weeks. It was awful. Yet I would take it off him when I could keep a close eye on him. I would take it off if you can supervise her and keep her from licking. If she licks too much, then back on it goes!