E Collar/8 Days Post-spay Incision

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello!

My three year old ASH got spayed with dissolvable sutures 8 days ago. When discharged she was wearing an e-collar, was administered 3 days of pain meds, and directions to keep the collar on for 7-10 days. Luna adjusted swiftly and patiently. She kept the cone on with little issues outside of lots of neck scratching and while still active, hasn’t been jumping as extremely. She does have some swelling below her incision but after calling her vet was told that was normal given her suture style and activity level. She also had/has some remaining dried lymph and some light scabbing around her incision but we were told not to touch it or clean it, just keep an eye on it. She did have an issue of loosening the scabbing from playing too early on but nothing major and quickly calmed after that.

My partner and I made the decision to have her collar come off on day 8 as I had the day off to watch her and she’s been healing well. Thankfully she isn’t transfixed on her wound and is more grateful to clean her paws and face but when she did clean her belly, she cleaned it intensely for 1-2 minutes and when she stopped there was some lightly bleeding from scabbing lifting up. She’s not super focused on it but will occasionally lick it for 10-50 seconds in the middle of moving to different paws to clean. She’s letting me look at it and stop her from licking too much, and doesn’t seem to be in pain. Should I put her collar back on?

If so, how should I distract her from cleaning until my partner is home to put it on?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you don’t see more bleeding it should be okay. I did much the same with Rockets spay and it worked out. You can always shoot your vet a quick email double check with a photo of the incision

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the teeny bit of bleeding from the scab lifting is probably nothing to worry about, but yeah, I agree that emailing or calling vet would be best.

Personally, I would probably not put the collar back on since she is not that focused on it and only licks it for a few seconds, but I am not a veterinary professional, that is just my personal opinion.

So glad Luna is doing well!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds fine, to me, but do what your vet says! Do you have a wand toy that you can gently play with her with do distract her? That might work.