E. coli and MRSA and amputation... oh my!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you from me and Wilma!!

Marina, they used both internal and external stitches and staples.

The vet ended up letting her come home instead of keeping her.
They removed the sutures/staples and there was a small area where the external stitches had not closed up and when the tech squeezed the swollen area they had said was a seroma and "nothing to worry about", all this green puss came out - and they said there was lots!

So they did a culture and hopefully it is not the MRSA again - won't have the results until Tuesday. So for now she is on Clavamox and pain meds and they left the area open to drain. They put gauze in it and told me to pull it out Friday and flush it daily. Thursday night I was totally freaking out thinking, OMG what have I done to this poor cat!!
Well there was no way I was going to pull it out the gauze - I had no idea how much there was, it was going to hurt her and I had no one to help me. I work with cats and do lots of meds but no way with this, so I took her back Friday and had them do it and had them show me how to flush it.

Here is something that is interesting..... I had mentioned to the vet tech (male) when I dropped her off that I thought her incision smelled a little - not foul, just different. He smelled it and said it was fine. Well the other vet tech tech (female) smelled it right away when he brought her in the room. One vet (male) did not smell anything but the other vet (female) did. So three females, we all smelled it and two males and neither did. I guess women DO have a better sense of smell!

She is still eating great and playing a little. Because it could be MRSA I can't have her oozing all over (for the sake of me, the cats, and her so she doesn't get reinfected). So I borrowed a wire exercise pen and put it around her cage and laid down a large blanket and she is happy with that.

Another major concern is that she had been walking great up until Wednesday and it is worse now - she will try and walk forward and lifts her left hip (amputation side) high in the air so she ends up falling over backwards and sideways.
If I help her and push down on her left hip, she can move forward. It seems worse when she first gets up from a nap. I took a video of it tonight and am going to see if the vet can forward to the orthoped to see what might be the problem.

I have to keep reminding myself of all the positive things right now, or else I start freaking out again. :-/ Thanks again for all the prayers and support!!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hard to watch our kitties struggle.

There is probably going to be ups and downs for a while, but still it's hard.

I hope that it is not MRSA again. Deal with it then, if that is the case.
Wilma is sure a trooper and so are you. It sounds like you have made her a nice safe place to hang out during this recovery.

As usual, prayers and vibes for both of you. I am so glad to have found this site last year to get, and give support to others like me!