e-Bay Question - Auction Sniper

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried auction sniper once years ago, i think i lost the item anyway.
I like to do it myself, if possible. I start in the last 15 minutes or so, and remain vigilant, but I haven't bought on Ebay in a long time now.
(i detoxed myself) ha ha

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I agree--and I never saw anything wrong with "sniping"--if it were a live auction, hands raised, etc., isn't bidding at the last second what they do (correct me if I'm wrong; I've never been to a real auction!)? I always do my bidding in the final minutes on eBay--I never seem to win otherwise; and why bid the item up over and over? Nowadays however, I usually skip to Buy it Now.

MargeCat
At a real auction, there is no real 'time limit' on the bidding. They set up all the stuff that will be bid on, and you wander around looking at it all, and keep track of the lot numbers of stuff you want. At some auctions it is against the rules to try to buy things beforehand, at some it isn't.
When stuff is actually up on the block, the auctioneer starts at a number lower than what is expected but not too low (would waste time) and you hold up your little number card to bid. If someone is willing to go higher than you, you lose.
There is no time limit, and jumping in at the end is definitely not encouraged. For the most part you bid the entire time on that item, and win by being willing to pay more than the others. Sometimes a new person will join towards the end, but there isn't much advantage except psychological. Ostensibly the bidding could go on for hours... sometimes seems like it...

I've been drug to more auctions than I care to count... my grandmother is an antiques dealer.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

If you bid on something too early, that can drive the bids up higher than you wanted to pay, so to me, last minute bidding is a great strategy!
This is the logic I use as well. I just wait and watch the auction and then bid in the last minute.

Now for items that end while I am asleep then I bid slightly over what I am willing to pay and then just hope I win. If I don't, I don't.

It is even more fun to sell and then watch your auction price rise and rise at the last minute as other people fight over it

I don't think I would ever use the software but I don't have anything against it either.

I do wonder though if eBay has a rule against it.