Dyeing carpet on cat furniture

pazzo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey folks, anyone ever try dyeing the carpet on their cat trees? I ordered off the 'net and you know how colors on computer images vary from the actual colors. The color samples I was given to choose from were way off . I want the log to match the tree. How can I do it ?

Here's what I have:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I think I would just learn to live with it.  
  What did you come up with?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That really sounds like a project!  Especially because it has folds. You'd have to remove the covering to dye it I think.  
  I've never tried anything like that. 

6pets4tinyapt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in the middle of re-carpeting a cat tree n just wondering if you ever did try?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The carpet used to make cat furniture may have been dyed before it was woven.
That's going to make it very difficult to re-dye. You'll likely never be able to get even, predictable color.

Further, if the carpet has had any stain blocker treatments added during manufacture, it will be nigh on impossible to re-dye. The stain blockers will prevent virtually all chemicals from penetrating the fibers. You'd have to use something pretty powerful to get through that barrier.

It's my guess that your cat furniture is covered with carpet made of polyolefin fibers. The stuff is virtually impervious and the color is intrinsic. The dye was incorporated into the fiber when it was made, even before it was spun into yarn. If so, there will be no way to dye it without using exotic methods... Chemicals that you certainly don't want to use when you have cats around!

For cat furniture, you want carpet made of materials that will hold up under abuse: Scratching, clawing, biting, peeing, puking, pooping and all sorts of unmentionable things. Polyolefin fiber, intrinsic or thread-dyeing and stain blockers are all things I would expect to see.

Besides, the carpet is probably glued down with some kind of strong carpet adhesive. You'll probably never get it off in one piece if you tried.

You certainly can try but I don't think you'll get good results if you try to dye that carpet.

PS: I worked in a furniture store for two years. We used to sell furniture by telling people how difficult upholstery and carpet fabrics are to stain.

Last edited: