DWARF CATS! anyone know where i can get them?

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow... purposely looking for a "mini" kitten sounds pretty low to me.

I once had a "Pocket" cat a long long time ago (thats what we called it), Gizmo never hit 3 pounds and we had her for over a yr before she got hit by a car... ive yet to se one since, were thinking Stormy might come out "pocket" size, but we dont care either way.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

What health problems do munchkins have?
I don't know much about this breed - but I would imagine that since it is a relatively new breed, and "man made" breed (as opposed to say, a Maine Coon), there was probably a lot of back breeding and possibly inbreeding to start it up. Whoever created this was probably looking to create the "Dachshund" of that cat world. The only problem is, the Dachsunds, Bassets, PBGV, etc, were bred short legged for a purpose. There is no purpose to a short legged cat, other than aesthetic, at least for some. I would imagine it's unnatural for a cat to have such short legs, as they, unlike dogs, depend on jumping and climbing. Also, because this breed is appealing, just like any other breed, cat or dog, it will be over bred frivolously by careless breeders, giving it more of a chance to be unhealthy.
From what I understand, the allele to cause the short legs is "Mm". If you breed two Munkins (Mm) together, 25% of the litter will be stillborn. This allele, Mm, is a genetic deformity, and most people feel that breeding for it is simply fostering a genetic defect - although this is how many breeds come to be.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillie

From what I understand, the allele to cause the short legs is "Mm". If you breed two Munkins (Mm) together, 25% of the litter will be stillborn. This allele, Mm, is a genetic deformity, and most people feel that breeding for it is simply fostering a genetic defect - although this is how many breeds come to be.
It may be a genetic defect, but there is a WORLD of difference between a semi-lethal mutation that causes stillborn kittens and other non-lethal genetic mutations!

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These cats are just genetic defects that some one thought was cute and decided to keep it going. It's wrong, and mean. These cats have short lives, and major health issues. I agree, they sure the heck look cute.... but it's plain wrong.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had a very wise Holistic vet tell me that there is a reason each and every species is created the way they are for a reason. When people start messing with the original they create all kinds of problems in bones, joints and just about everything else. It is the poor unfortunate animal that pays the price for this, and the people that love them. I have purebred animals but I go to great lenghts to find ethical breeders who keep the health and welfare of the animals in the forefront. Please, if you want a small kitty look for a normal but small little one.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't even know there was such a thing! My co-worker and I joke all the time at the shelter that we should make "mini cats" due to the popularity of the toy breeds for dogs at shelters and how people only want kittens.

We said this as a joke! Because I didn't think they existed! Nor did I think it was possible to make them! I knew about munchkins, I always wanted one. Or to see one. However I would never "buy" one.

Cat's are cute no matter what shape or size, or color. They are PURRFECT just the way they are!