DVD drive bit the dust

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I guess my DVD drive on the computer died now. I had tried to transfer some PSP masks to a cd and the computer didn't recognize a cd was in the drive. I tried a dvd and got nothing. Tried a music cd and got nothing. 

Looking on the bright side......once I put a new dvd drive into this computer? I pretty much have a new computer! 
 The Dell technoweenie installed a new motherboard and such back in December. That's when the old hard drive died and my BIL helped me to install the new hard drive, new OS, and fan. There was something else then, too, but I forget now what it was.

And now the DVD drive. Talked to my BIL and he'll stand over me while I install a new drive, just to make sure I don't screw it up. I don't think I will, but it's nice to have a weenie standing there, just in case I do something stupid.

It's always something, I guess.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always heard that by the time you get the box home and open it, the thing is obsolete.  The good thing is that installing an new DVD drive is fairly easy.  Are you going to get a double layer writer?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the only trick is getting the right type of electrical connections on the new drive.

I remember all your other troubles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I remember them, too. Not sure what I'm getting at this point.....my BIL and I are going shopping and I'm going to let him pick it out.