Durable cat toys?

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you recommend any brands/sites that sell durable cat toys. In the past two weeks Pangur has 'killed' 1/3 of his toys. We bought a couple of the Kong ones and they are still in decent shape (so far).

Also, WHERE are the toys going? Over half of those left have just vanished! I can't decide if Pangur is hiding them or the kids are taking them into their room. I've looked under all the furniture/in all the closets with a flashlight and haven't turned up anything. Ugh - DH has started to get annoyed with how no matter where I go I always come back with a pack of cat mice/balls/etc... (Not my fault every store has a pet toy section....)

Last edited:

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you mentioned, the normal Kong Toy, Kong Catnip Toy, and the Kong Kickeroo Cat Toy are probably the most durable toys for strong cats. Another option is to make/buy an "obstacle course" for Pangur to go through (the sturdy ones at PetCo/PetSmart are a little pricey, but you can always make your own out of cardboard boxes). You could also try circuit toys.

There's also something called the "King Kicker Toy" from Happy House Cats (http://www.shop.happyhousecats.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=104) that has received positive reviews for its durability, though I'm not sure if anyone here has tried them before. They sell from the UK.

I don't have much feedback - Alaina's not one to play with toys. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Can you recommend any brands/sites that sell durable cat toys. In the past two weeks Pangur has 'killed' 1/3 of his toys. We bought a couple of the Kong ones and they are still in decent shape (so far).

Also, WHERE are the toys going? Over half of those left have just vanished! I can't decide if Pangur is hiding them or the kids are taking them into their room. I've looked under all the furniture/in all the closets with a flashlight and haven't turned up anything. Ugh - DH has started to get annoyed with how no matter where I go I always come back with a pack of cat mice/balls/etc... (Not my fault every store has a pet toy section....)
For durable toys,  I have found the Kong ones are quite good in terms of the mice and bunnykick size soft toys, and the Catit circuit has survived Mouse's attacks for the past 3 years amazingly well (he literaly picks it up in his jaws and drags it about).  

I'm with @AlainasMom on making up play circuits out of boxes! They cost nothing so you can enjoy Pangur destroying them at leisure. 

As for where all those toys vanishing, a few of us were posting about that recently on The Official TCS Babbling Thread.  There were various ideas ranging from cat house mates steeling them to black holes, and all things point to this being quite a common problem so no wonder every store stocks cat toys - we need to replace them regularly!   DH should perhaps think again - about whether he wants to be the one crawling under the closets and furniture, floorboards and all other small dark spaces, or give in to your sensible approach to keeping your furfamily entertained in a manner that doesn't involve Pangur chewing at his arm/leg/head.  

BTW, loving the name, always wanted to call a kitty Pangur Ban, one of my favourite poems.