Dumb Comment of the Day!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all hear some pretty dumb things over the course of the day.  Today, one topped the cake.

Over lunch one of the girls near where I sit was reading the news paper online and commented about that Tiger in India that has been attacking and eating people. Apparently it claimed it's 10th victim today.

Apparently her brother is traveling in India and she hasn't heard from him in a couple of days, so she remarked that she hoped he was safe and that he wasn't one of the 10 victims.

I told her that India is over a million square miles with over a billion people, so I highly doubt that he was in any danger and that he likely has better odds of winning the lottery everyday for the next month than he does getting eaten by a wild Tiger.

So what are some of the dumb comments you hear during the day that leave you shaking your head?

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s a good one. She must have heard from somebody by now if an incident that significant were to happen to her brother! I do get somewhat paranoid about these situations at times- but more often if there’s something more widespread around the vicinity where one of my relatives are traveling, like an earthquake.

At our Super Bowl dinner party (we invited all the neighbors on our street- full house!), one of our neighbors made a remark about Gracie Cat sleeping on the couch: “She’s not dead, is she?”

It almost made me cry and laugh at the same time. And at that very moment she woke up and shot a glare at that neighbor for calling her dead- then she just walked away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I guess it's typical to leave a dead cat just laying around your living room while you entertain!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG people, haha you made me laugh out loud!

Poor kitty...:( Sick em Gracie, bite his ankle.....

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Natalie_ca  That’s exactly what I was thinking! I must be some cruel person to just leave a dead cat lying on the couch- and my Gracie! That would never happen. And she’ll live forever, I know that.

@catwoman707  
she has something that I call “Gracie’s 3-Strike Method with Strangers (only)”. First she’ll shoot them her warning glare. Then she might hiss or growl at them if they try to do something crazy like throw her up in the air (that has happened- neighbors’ toddlers, claiming they were “picking her up”- and I was not happy- neither was Gracie 
)- and then she bites. The 3rd strike has rarely happened. 
 She’s a pretty patient cat.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've got way too many to post. :lol3: I could write a book of them. :lol3:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dumbest comment I heard when my Chrissy was being petted was "she bit me!!!" after telling them 15 times "she doesn't like to be petted, you better stop now!" 
 My mother was one that got bit repeatedly, she just couldn't believe it. Then every time she visited she would show me the 'scar' where Chrissy had bit her! Chrissy always swished her tail and growled first, but people would pay no mind! (I figured they deserved it if they wouldn't listen to me!)

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my kids to the Natural Science Museum for Darwin Day today. They had stations set up with people from various local organizations and universities. One table, manned by students from Duke (my school's main rival), had lemur skeletons set up to show the evolution of the lemur. My 7-year-old son asked one of the students if the skulls were real. She says, "I don't know if these are real or casts, but this is how they really looked then."

They could not have been more obviously fake.

My daughter went through a few minutes later and asked the same question of another student working the table. His response was, "Oh, they're fake, but cast from the real thing." Thank you. Right answer. 

allenkm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took my kids to the Natural Science Museum for Darwin Day today. They had stations set up with people from various local organizations and universities. One table, manned by students from Duke (my school's main rival), had lemur skeletons set up to show the evolution of the lemur. My 7-year-old son asked one of the students if the skulls were real. She says, "I don't know if these are real or casts, but this is how they really looked then."

They could not have been more obviously fake.

My daughter went through a few minutes later and asked the same question of another student working the table. His response was, "Oh, they're fake, but cast from the real thing." Thank you. Right answer. 
Awesome activity to do with your kids......I am a real science nerd, and Darwin fan

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
At work this morning I answer the phone:

Me:  This is XYZ Land Surveying.

Caller:  Is this Dr. Kim's office?

Me:  No, this is XYZ Land Surveying.

Caller:  What is that?

Me:  Um....a land surveying business.....   

Caller:  Oh.     (hangs up)

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

At work this morning I answer the phone:

Me:  This is XYZ Land Surveying.

Caller:  Is this Dr. Kim's office?

Me:  No, this is XYZ Land Surveying.

Caller:  What is that?

Me:  Um....a land surveying business.....   

Caller:  Oh.     (hangs up)

LOL, you reminded me of one.

Back when l was living at the old house, l got a phonecall one night.

Me: Hello.

About 5 seconds of complete silence

Woman (yelling): l Called my boyfriend!! What the * are YOU answering the phone for????

Me: lt rang

LOL. Once she'd calmed down l asked her the number she'd tried to call. Turns out she'd double-pushed the 9 and got me instead 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't know if it counts as a dumb comment, but I put an ad on Craigslist to sell my tiny recliner. At the end I wrote:

"I don't have a truck, so you may want to consider bringing one to transport the recliner."

I got an email, quoted verbatim:

"HEY CAN U DELIVER I LIVE IN HOWELL" (which is 30+ minutes away)

Thought to myself, he picked up the word chicken gravy, but didn't pick up the fact that I said I have no truck? o_O

So being a bit of an a****, I replied: "Sure, delivery fees is $119 since I have to rent a truck and gas."

The reply: "R U SERIOS????!?!!!!!!!"

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL, you reminded me of one.

Back when l was living at the old house, l got a phonecall one night.

Me: Hello.

About 5 seconds of complete silence

Woman (yelling): l Called my boyfriend!! What the * are YOU answering the phone for????

Me: lt rang

LOL. Once she'd calmed down l asked her the number she'd tried to call. Turns out she'd double-pushed the 9 and got me instead 
So funny. 

On Sunday, we told the in laws that we are having a baby. We said that Aimee (our 17 month old) is going to be a big sister. My mother in laws reaction was "how do you know she's going to be a big sister?" Then she caught on that I am pregnant. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

So funny. 

On Sunday, we told the in laws that we are having a baby. We said that Aimee (our 17 month old) is going to be a big sister. My mother in laws reaction was "how do you know she's going to be a big sister?" Then she caught on that I am pregnant. 
My stepdaughter is pregnant with her second child.  She told someone that her 5 year old son was going to be a big brother.  The friend said "Oh, so you're having a boy!"  Guess it took the friend a second to realize that he could be a big brother to a girl, too.    
    LOLOL