DTM Ringworm Culture Interpretation

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I have been fighting ringworm for a while now. My cats have had sulfur dips, medicated baths, and finally oral Terbinafine. I have been running DTM cultures for the past month and a half and none have turned red. (I have been running my own cultures since it is much cheaper than doing them at the vets). There has been the odd growth on a couple of them but it never turns to red like it is supposed to with ringworm. Any rescues or people experienced with running ringworm cultures on here? Could you help me interpret these results? These are the Hardy DTM/RSM culture plates. I have them in the dark in an incubator at about 82 degrees as my house isn’t as warm and the instructions indicate they need to be. This is day 14 and these growths just appeared over the past day or 2. No color change whatsoever and the instructions say I should throw them out after 12 days to avoid false positives. Do these growths just look like contaminants since they have not turned red or green? Thanks for any input. I am so hoping we are ringworm free FINALLY!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I did a search on this site for other threads that might suggest another member has used this culture test but found nothing.

Have you called Hardy Diagnostics and asked if you can speak to someone about your results and how you've handled the plates, just to see if they have any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I did a search on this site for other threads that might suggest another member has used this culture test but found nothing.

Have you called Hardy Diagnostics and asked if you can speak to someone about your results and how you've handled the plates, just to see if they have any advice?
I have not called yet. I will do that tomorrow, thanks!